OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Info on Rem. Ventilator .655

Started by jakesdad, February 19, 2014, 08:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Anybody got any info/comparisons/patterns, good or bad, on the Rem. Ventilator .655?

Using a 870 Express 28" barrel.Winchester lead loads #6(some #5)in the Longbeards,Supreme black box,and grey box Super X.

Thanks.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

darron

Best kept secret on the market! Shoots lead and hevi-13 great. I have two of those chokes myself

SCDieselDawg

PM scdxt! I saw what his 1187w ventilator did with the grey box Winchester 6s.

bigwayne17

Don't worry. Ol' brad will be along shortly to help you out with this choke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomstopper

Bought one last week and can't wait til I get to pattern it.....

cluck

I have the same set up as you have, 28" with same choke and I shoot the 17/8 oz super x win #6. Will put 125 in 10" at 40 yds. The win. 17/8 oz. #6 in the black box will do just a little better but not much. Keep the barrel clean and use a drill bit to keep the holes in choke clean. just turn the  drill with hand, don't use an electric drill.   cluck

campcreekfarm

Where  can you find these for sale ?  I know someone posted a link on here a while back but I cant find it and wanted to order one.

tomstopper

Quote from: campcreekfarm on February 19, 2014, 07:23:21 PM
Where  can you find these for sale ?  I know someone posted a link on here a while back but I cant find it and wanted to order one.
Here you go....

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/956890.htm

Ruger M77

How do you guys think the winchester long beards would pattern out of the venilater?
I eat therefore I hunt

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Ruger M77 on February 19, 2014, 08:13:03 PM
How do you guys think the winchester long beards would pattern out of the venilater?

Guys,

I can't say anymore than what I already said on here about the Rem Ventilator .655 choke for Rem guns.  I'll say it in a nutshell for all to see here.  If there is a better $25 choke out there on the market that was ever made in the past or currently being made, I sure in the heck don't know of it.  You can compare chokes that cost $40, $50, $60, or even $70 or more to the Ventilator choke shooting most turkey loads whether it be lead or Hevi-13, and I would put my money on the Ventilator if you figure the price for only $25 shipped.  And even if you throw the price out of the equation, I myself would still put my money on the Ventilator for 10" numbers at a taped 40yds. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll say this while I am on the subject.  The only choke that I have had to beat the Ventilator for 10" numbers for max total shot in the 10" was the MAD Max .675 choke which was made by Indian Creek.  And I ain't gonna say that it would even beat it consistently.  That was only a few of the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's I shot at the time to compare.  I have owned a Indian Creek .668 and Pure Gold .670 and neither would out do the Ventilator .655 for 10" numbers if that will convince you more on what I am saying.  I have shot both Jelly Head .660 and .665 and in my 28" barrel 870 and the Ventilator would smoke them.  But I know others who love these chokes in their 870 barrels.  More power to them.  I can only say what I know worked in mine.

jakesdad

ILIKEHEVI-13 thats good to hear.Ive been shooting a older Stardot choke out of the 870 12(when I use it)and while it was adequate,it was just that,adequate.Best I could ever muster at 40 with Winchester lead in #6 was 85-90.Not terrible by any means but it just lacked that density for some extra wiggle room.Ive been looking for that choke that gives the little extra push to 40+/-.Not looking for patterns that look like screen doors like several of the HTL 7 setups do,just a really nice workable hunting pattern.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

ILIKEHEVI-13

No problem at all.  I had a Star Dot .665 choke in my 21" barrel I had at the time before I traded it for this 28" barrel I now have that shoots so much better and it wasn't much to put it bluntly. 

I will tell you this choke is a superb Hevi-13 3" 1.75 oz choke, too. 

Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's will do right around 280 or so with older loads in the 10" with this choke. 

scdxt

Quote from: jakesdad on February 19, 2014, 08:40:09 PM
ILIKEHEVI-13 thats good to hear.Ive been shooting a older Stardot choke out of the 870 12(when I use it)and while it was adequate,it was just that,adequate.Best I could ever muster at 40 with Winchester lead in #6 was 85-90.Not terrible by any means but it just lacked that density for some extra wiggle room.Ive been looking for that choke that gives the little extra push to 40+/-.Not looking for patterns that look like screen doors like several of the HTL 7 setups do,just a really nice workable hunting pattern.
ILIKEHEVI13 is right.... For the money its hard to find a choke that shoots like this one. And they look nasty sticking out that barrel....

ILIKEHEVI-13

I never shot any lead through my Ventilator, but the guy that told me about this choke who also told me about the Star Dot for the 835 by the way said that it was a super lead choke and Hevi choke, too.  He said the Ventilator was one of the best lead chokes he has shot in his Rem guns.  I gave my Ventilator to my friend Mark's son.  He loves it.