turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who taught you to hunt?

Started by MouthCaller, February 18, 2014, 09:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MouthCaller

I thought this would bring back some warm and fuzzy feelings in us all.  :z-flirtysmile3:

My parents divorced and Mom moved me and my sister to Mississippi when I was 7 so I didn't have my dad around to teach me but I did have a few uncles and my papaw to let me tag along. I remember several stories and I'll share a few of them. First hunting experience was one of my uncles taking me squirrel hunting and from that very first hunt he taught me how to walk in the woods without stomping around it's how I walk in the woods to this very day. Another uncle sat me down and had a very LONG conversation about safety especially sitting on a tree turkey hunting but my most favorite hunting memories come from my Papaw. I was with him when he killed his biggest deer ever and he came back and told everybody that I killed the deer. (that was super fun for a little boy getting to tell people how he and not his Papaw got to kill the big buck) a couple turkey hunts come to mind one was when he killed a small jake and one I like more than that is setting up on a road blindly hunting and having a gobbler coming to us and we left because he couldn't hear the bird gobbling and getting closer although I told him I heard it LOL. I miss my Papaw like crazy and I'm lucky to be 27 and still have my Mamaw (she's 89) sorry for the rambling I really could go on and on about learning to hunt from him and hunting with him.

guesswho

It was a joint venture with my Dad, Mom and me when I was five.  I'm really fortunate.  I'm 53 now and still get to hunt with both of them.  My Dad has slowed down a lot, but he still likes to go.  And track record show's we managed to learn a thing or two along the way.  I wouldn't trade it for anything!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

WildTigerTrout

My Dad. He is 80 years old now and does not hunt any more but we sure had ALOT of good times over the years hunting together. I am now doing the same for my son.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Turkeyman11

A good friend of mine drew a limited entry turkey permit in Utah 24 years ago.  We only had a few turkeys back then and five permits were issued.  He stopped in my work place one night a week into his season and I asked him if he'd gotten his turkey.  He said no that it had been tough.  I knew nothing about turkeys and was confused as to why it could be so difficult to kill a dumb bird.  He invited me to tag along the next morning and I agreed.  I couldn't believe we had to leave at 4 a.m. but I had to see what this was all about.  We climbed a ridge in the darkness and walked out onto a long point overlooking a cottonwood drainage.  He instructed me to sit down next to a bog Ponderosa and be still.  As daylight approached I was wondering what exactly we were going to do now when a bird gobbled not 70 yards from us just off the lip.  I honestly about wet myself.  The next hour was as intense as anything I'd ever done.  The bird must have gobbled 50 times that morning and to make a long story short my buddy, a rookie also, shot the bird in the body and he flew the canyon and got away.  I was sick that I couldn't hold that bird and inspect it but at that moment I was hooked!  Twenty four years later I've finished my slam and still get as excited as I was on that first hunt.  Thanks to by good buddy Danny for sharing his obsession with me.

THattaway

I learned to hunt following bird dogs with my Dad. Turkeys and deer came a little later and we learned about those together. He will turn 75 in another couple months, doesn't get around as well as the old days. Have been fortunate to put him on a bird or three each year.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

redarrow

I taught myself and I'm still learning.

Flydown

My dad took my brother and I deer hunting every weekend of the season and taught us how to hunt deer. He didn't turkey hunt at all but hunted just about everything else.

Turkey hunting I had a good friend take me a few times and show me the basics but for the most part it was trial and error and learn it the hard way by myself. I'm glad it happened that way. I believe I am a better turkey hunter after being defeated more than being victorious.

CASH

Deer, myself. Turkeys, my brother in law
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

hs strut

my dad taught me how to deer hunt my granddad taught me how to rabbit hunt and bird hunt using dogs and im self taught when it comes to turkey hunting
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

Heller

My dad and my Grandpaw started takin me squirrel and pheasant huntin around the age of 5, no gun, just a tag along being educated. Rabbits, deer, dove, and coons shortly after. My dad never turkey hunted. One year I just thought I just try it out, not much luck that year, didn't know how to call, how to hunt em, nothing. Since I'm a persistent person I tried 3 more years. Each year with.the same result. I wasn't hooked yet for obvious reasons. Then I was shootin the breeze with the farm up the road and he invited me to come along with him and his buddy. Both of these ol boys were in there early 60s and boy they taught me a bunch. I'm hooked now. I still go out once a year with those fellas, that's the turkey hunt I look forward to the most every season

WildSpur

I pretty much taught myself.  My father did not hunt and family who did hunt would not take me.  I spent a lot of time reading magazines and books.  Mountainburd on here and I covered a lot of ground learning as we went. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

jblackburn

Dad taught me how to hunt deer, rabbits, and squirrels.  I taught myself how to turkey hunt.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

BowBendr

My Dad. The hunting bug never really bit him like it did me, but he lit a fire in me that's burned almost 40 years now. Thanks Dad !

J Hook Max

My Daddy taught me to hunt back in the 1960's.