turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Worried about our turkeys in PA

Started by Ruger M77, February 18, 2014, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruger M77

With all the snow we have on the ground here I'm starting to worry about the turkeys I have about 30'' on the ground around my place and have had a lot of snow on the ground for several weeks what do turkeys eat in conditions like this
I eat therefore I hunt

WildSpur

You and me both!  Fortunately it's warming up a bit and melting.  Not sure what's left on the ground since it was an average at best year for mast around many parts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

critter_sniper

We have concerns about that as well, not just turkey, but mainly deer.  We bring in additional alfalfa and corn to help with the feed during the winter months. 

Good if you can on private land...

DirtNap647

boy you are not  kiddin haven't  seen a turkey in forever

Tbrom

Here too. They have been congregating in areas with pine trees here. They cleaned my bird feeders out a couple time next to the house as well! I caught them in the yard once but wasnt quick enough with the camera.

beagler

Same here in my neck of the woods, around 30".
Never Misses

Ruger M77

Had a nice flock of hens with poults hangin around last summer and fall haven't seen them since December I hope there finding something to eat I'm ready to get out scouting but its alittle hard now with all the snow
I eat therefore I hunt

PALongspur

We have close to two feet on the ground here with a thick coating of ice underneath. Hopefully this warm spells takes care of most of it.

matchbook454

Not only do they need food but they also need grit just as bad.  Grit is probably even harder for them to get.

WildSpur

It's 40 degrees here now in Pittsburgh with a good melt starting.  Hopefully things green up a little earlier this year to get some food growing. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

CT Spur Collector

Also concerned here in northern Indiana county....lots of snow on the ground with a 3/4'' to 1' layer of ice in there also. I hope they're hanging in around the spring seeps. They will also be in the corn stubble where the snow blew off in the high country, that's melting away nicely.

I remember 1993 & 1996 when we had a couple of real bad winters here in WPA. I was real worried about them then. The made it, they are fairly hearty.  Get worrying about he youngens though, they'll be the first to perish. They do follow the deer around though where they broke through this crap.

Keep your fingers crossed.

turkey_slayer

Turkeys are pretty adaptable. During deep snow they usually pick stuff out of the trees

Tommy Strutsalot

:agreed: they are likely "budding" right now like ruffed grouse would do.  Eating the early budding from the trees.  Also around creek edges where rising and falling water levels help to expose some ground, and as mentioned above as well they are congregating in coniferous stands where they can get some exposed ground underneath trees. 

It's a tough winter for them that's for sure, but as all turkey hunters know they don't usually give in that easy!

CT Spur Collector

I saw four nice toms this morning in a field on my way to the office. They were in the corn stubble in a field on the ridge where the snow was blown off and had melted yesterday.

They looked in very good shape.

Come on sun!!

turkaholic

Loaded up with snow here in CT. Watched a flock of about 20 in the snow on my farm. There were a bunch in a hedge row in trees with red berries all over, and they were running around grabbing berries that fell down. It was funny to watch, but I also worry about them with this nasty winter. How do they get water? I have fox tracks going to my heated water tanks.
live to hunt hunt to live