turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fiber Optics or Red dot?

Started by yankeehunter, February 16, 2014, 08:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeehunter

Hey Folks, new member here first wanting to say, Hey! I've been turkey hunting for a good time won't say how long cause it will show my age... ;D Anyway, I've been hunting with my Beretta Urika 391 for sometime now and have a truglo fiber optic front bead in luminesent green. I have killed several birds with it and prefer green over red. Anyway, I've had an 870 Express magnum that I picked up from a buddy of mine for dirt cheap, sitting in the gunsafe for years. Well, I wasn't really big on the shotgun because it just seemed a bit heavy, rough action and it came with a 28" barrel. I decided to spend a lil time with it and polished up the action and trigger. Now she is slick as butter. I also bought a 26" barrel for it and decreased the weight. Still a lil heavier than my Beretta but manageable. I've decided to tote it turkey hunting this coming seasn. Now I am trying to decide on wether to put a fiber optic or a red dot on it. As far as fiber optics I'm leaning twards either the Willams fire sights or Truglo's turkey magnum. As far as red dot. I'm an Aimpoint fan since that is what I sport on my tatical weapons. The only thing about the Aimpoint is that I feel it is a lil bulky for a hunting shotgun. So, I am looking at other red dots. Anyway, what's you alls thoughts? Yes, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be but they are still decent. Of course, putting a red dot on this SG will add a good bit more change to it....

Deputy 14

I like the tru glo magnum gobble dot sights I have on my gun. However, if I were going with a red dot I would look at the Burris Fastfire 3 if you're worried about a bulky sight.
:welcomeOG:

fsu33952

I put a mueller quick shot on my 870 last spring and do not like it. The point of aim for the iron sight was a little off but I had shot it for years and killed piles of turkeys with it. That is why I put the quick shot on it. Helped me get the core of my pattern on the target. There are a few things I don't like. One is that the way the sight sits on there causes you to have to change the way you put your cheek on the stock. I have to hold my head up and put my chin on there. That sucker will almost knock you out. I guess you could try putting one of those cheek pads on there. It just takes some getting used to. When you shoot a regular old bead for years a sight feels foreign. Another thing is that if a turkey walks up really close and you can't see him the sight is just something else for him to hide behind. Sounds weird but it happened to me. I had one try to get in my lap one rainy morning and I was afraid to move my head enough to look around this sight.

gobbler777

some fiber optics have a ghost ring. Are they hard to see through ... block out target?
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Greenshed Longbeard

I am very pleased with the tru glo magnum sights on my 870 and like you it sounds like your age is affecting eye sight like me. They pick up light very well which makes target acquisition easier.

Greenshed Longbeard

Tail Feathers

I hear a lot of good things about the Mueller red dot.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

kevin2

To me, if fiber optics work for you already on your other gun, then I personally wouldn't change. Lot more cash for the red dot.

If I was to go with a red dot, then I'd go Fast Fire III, as it is the best, the smallest, and preferred by the most users. Tried out the competition, and it wasn't anything close to the Fast Fire III. There you go...hope it helps with your decision.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

USMC0331

I have the Williams as well and they are great. If I were to use a red dot my first choice is the Trijicon RMR next would be the Fast FireIII because of excellent track record, warranty and durability.

DirtNap647

WildSpur

I would get the fast fire.  Great optic and not bulky.  You will then have a good back up gun for foul weather if you like to have 2 guns.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

appalachianstruttstopper

I personally prefer fiber optic ghost ring sights like the Dead Ringer red ring with green bead. Ghost ring helps me keep my head down when I shoot. I have shot over a few in my days.  :fud:

chatterbox

Burris FFIII. Nothing else need be said. The sight and company speak for themselves.

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

RIStrutStopper

I like my Tru-Glo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dot sights. Too bad the name is so long. That's a lot of typing.