turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Versa Max chokes?

Started by Racer1, February 15, 2014, 11:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racer1

Need advice on what choke to look at for a Versa Max.  Pure Gold? Indian Creek? Sumtoy?     660?  .665?  .670?  .675?  What is working for you?  Thanks for your help!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BandedSpur

I'd call William at Sumtoy,, tell him what shell you plan to shoot, and let him tell you what constriction. If you are not happy, he will work with you until you are.

SumToy

Most of the guns we have ran a 665 in. It has a .735 bore with a LONG forcing cone.  It has liked the HV13 in the past but would like to see the new Win LB shot in one with the long forcing cone.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Racer1

What size shot SumToy?

forcercon1

William with SumToy built me a choke, .667, a few years back and I'm VERY pleased with it. The choke shoots Hevi 5's & 6's very well. The choke also likes lead 5's. For me, the patterns with all the named shot are very even and dense. The 10" numbers are good, but I'm most impressed with how even and the dense both the 10" & 20" #'s are.

ChiefBubba

I've been using the Hevi Metal Waterfowl choke Mid Range in my Versa Max for ducks. Patterned it at the range and it throws a really nice pattern. I haven't shot any Turkey loads but think I'm going use that set up. Chief

Old Gobbler

I have a versa max - William made me 665 - I plan on shooting the fed #7 hw - I'll test it out and post the results soon

I shot his improved cyl choke for waterfowl with good results -

Pure gold also makes a tempest and ported choke -- have yet to try those yet -- Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Racer1

What about holding point of aim forcercon1?  Never shot a SumToy and don't personally know anyone who does...

SumToy

Quote from: Racer1 on February 16, 2014, 10:32:09 PM
What about holding point of aim forcercon1?  Never shot a SumToy and don't personally know anyone who does...

I have had good luck with that.  99% of the time ours shoot are on.  We machine all choke in one set up so ever thing is machined before the choke is removed.   I would run something in the 665 rang in the gun.  We make them and PG and Kicks have them. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

forcercon1

ChiefBubba

Quote from: forcercon1 on February 17, 2014, 03:42:08 PM
My POA / POI was dead on.

Same with my gun. This is turning into the best shotgun I've ever used. Chief