OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any Turkey Thug vs Strut Shok Pattern Comparisons???

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, February 14, 2014, 11:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

*Update 3-9-2014*

OK, today I had a temp of 71 degrees to work with.

28" 870 & Indian Creek .665
3" Strut Shok #6 Lead
Tape measured 40 Yards
90 in 10", 151 Total in 15" at 71 Degrees
Previously shot 99 in 10" at 54 Degrees

vs 140 in 10" at 73 Degrees with 3" #6 Turkey Thugs last year.

Strut Shok is just barely decent at 40 Yards in my rig.
It's probably just fine at 35 Yards.
It's not nearly the load that the Turkey Thugs are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still haven't seen any of the Thugs or very many other Turkey Loads at the central Mississippi Wal-Mart stores yet.

I picked up BPS's last box of the Federal Strut Shock 3" 1.875oz #6's to try out.  I've been contemplating trying them for a year now, and they were only $10.  I had good luck with the #6 Thugs last year, and I want to compare the Strut Shock.  I realize that the wad and powder are different, so I expect to see some variation.  However, Wal-Mart will only have the Thugs in stock for a short time.  It shure would be nice if the Strut Shock shells would pattern close to the same.  Has anyone else shot them side-by-side?

I know the LongBeards are shooting phenominal patterns, outshooting everything else ever seen with Lead loads.  But I'm not sure that the tightest possible pattern is always a good thing.  I think 130-140 is a grand-slam home run myself, especially if the pattern outside of the 10" circle looks good too.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Surely someone has shot both the Thugs and Strut Shok shells through the same gun and choke?

Both in 3" have 1.875oz of shot, and use traditional style wads.

I'm waiting for warmer temps.  I like for it to be at least 60 degrees with very little wind.

owlhoot

X2 on the warmer weather without the crazy winds.

Now what kind of wad does the Thugs have?
Is it the triple plus too?

SCDieselDawg

If I can find some Thugs,  I will do a comparison. But they'll be 3.5" cause that's all I have I Strut  Shoks.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on February 14, 2014, 11:32:08 PM
I still haven't seen any of the Thugs or very many other Turkey Loads at the central Mississippi Wal-Mart stores yet.

I picked up BPS's last box of the Federal Strut Shock 3" 1.875oz #6's to try out.  I've been contemplating trying them for a year now, and they were only $10.  I had good luck with the #6 Thugs last year, and I want to compare the Strut Shock.  I realize that the wad and powder are different, so I expect to see some variation.  However, Wal-Mart will only have the Thugs in stock for a short time.  It shure would be nice if the Strut Shock shells would pattern close to the same.  Has anyone else shot them side-by-side?

I know the LongBeards are shooting phenominal patterns, outshooting everything else ever seen with Lead loads.  But I'm not sure that the tightest possible pattern is always a good thing.  I think 130-140 is a grand-slam home run myself, especially if the pattern outside of the 10" circle looks good too.

walmart in Magee,Laurel,Brandon(the one out by Grant's Ferry Rd.) all have Thugs
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteIf I can find some Thugs, I will do a comparison. But they'll be 3.5" cause that's all I have in Strut Shoks.

I'd be happy to see any comparisons, as long as they were both from the same length shell, and the same size shot. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I just turned loose a 3" Strut Shok #6 at 54 Degrees with very little wind.

Compared to a 3" Turkey Thug #6 pattern from last year at 73 Degrees.

Same 870 and same Indian Creek .665 choke.

Measured 40 Yards.

Turkey Thug 140 in 10" at 73 Degrees, 298 Total in 20"
Strut Shok     99 in 10" at 54 Degrees, 201 Total in 20"

I suspect it could be proven that the Thugs are a better shell.  On the other hand, numbers always drop off as the temperature falls.

albrubacker

That sounds very comparable from my little experience in shooting different temps.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

3" 870 Shell Shucker

870 & 3" Federal Strut Shok #6 Lead & Indian Creek .665 at "54 Degrees" at a Measured 40 Yards.

I placed a Quarter in the center of the target for scale.  This is the rear of the target.
Only 99 in the 10" Circle, and 201 Total in 20", but I think it would hunt.

ahfox16

Also done with HTL except with my 20 gauge.  In my two 12 gauges I'll be shooting longbeards IF I ever run out of HTL 12's.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

OK, today I had a temp of 71 degrees to work with.

28" 870 & Indian Creek .665
3" Strut Shok #6 Lead
Tape measured 40 Yards
90 in 10", 151 Total in 15" at 71 Degrees
Previously shot 99 in 10" at 54 Degrees

vs 140 in 10" at 73 Degrees with 3" #6 Turkey Thugs last year.

Strut Shok is just barely decent at 40 Yards in my rig.
It's probably just fine at 35 Yards.
It's not nearly the load that the Turkey Thugs are.