OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which choke for an Extrema and Hevi 13 #7's

Started by golfernash, March 12, 2011, 03:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golfernash

No, That is not me on GON. I ordered a couple of new chokes this spring as it is the first time that I have switched over to hevi shot. The hevi shot tube is by far the best out the ones I tried.

goblr77

Quote from: golfernash on March 18, 2011, 09:51:28 AM
No, That is not me on GON. I ordered a couple of new chokes this spring as it is the first time that I have switched over to hevi shot. The hevi shot tube is by far the best out the ones I tried.

Good to know. If two of you are getting numbers like that it's not a fluke. I might only shoot it once at paper when I get it. I only have two and a half boxes of last year's Hevi 7's left. Everybody on here has me scared to shoot the new lot #'s.

Longshanks

Have a question about barrel length. Shooting xtrema 2 with a 24 in barrel. Kicks .670 and a Pure Gold  .670.  Ordered Hevi  3-2-7's.  Is the barrel length of my gun going to be an issue in producing the patterns you guys are talking about.  Also i havent shot hevi shot in the Kicks due to their warnings.  Any worries with the Kicks choke?

goblr77

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 18, 2011, 12:15:43 PM
Since your gun has a .733 slight overbore, I would probably try out the .670 first, and the .660 second. If neither throw a good pattern, I would go directly to an IC .665.

I'm done with IC. I started off with an IC .665 w/ wad catchers and with 2.25 oz 7's averaged in the 250's with a centered low POI. I was outshooting this choke with an unported Trulock .668 with averages in the 260's and a dead on POI. I sent the IC back for a .675 w/o the wad catchers and patterned it today. My numbers jumped up in the 280's but the POI is now low right. I have two Trulock chokes and a Pure Gold buckshot choke for this gun and the POI is dead nuts with all three. I also smoked a 20ga .555 IC with a Pure Gold .570 today. IC's recommended constricions are too tight. I have a Hevishot brand choke on the way for the Xtrema and with the numbers I've seen from a couple of posters, I fully expect the IC will be going back.

EAST COAST TH

Quote from: goblr77 on March 19, 2011, 07:33:28 PM
Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 18, 2011, 12:15:43 PM
Since your gun has a .733 slight overbore, I would probably try out the .670 first, and the .660 second. If neither throw a good pattern, I would go directly to an IC .665.

I'm done with IC. I started off with an IC .665 w/ wad catchers and with 2.25 oz 7's averaged in the 250's with a centered low POI. I was outshooting this choke with an unported Trulock .668 with averages in the 260's and a dead on POI. I sent the IC back for a .675 w/o the wad catchers and patterned it today. My numbers jumped up in the 280's but the POI is now low right. I have two Trulock chokes and a Pure Gold buckshot choke for this gun and the POI is dead nuts with all three. I also smoked a 20ga .555 IC with a Pure Gold .670 today. IC's recommended constricions are too tight. I have a Hevishot brand choke on the way for the Xtrema and with the numbers I've seen from a couple of posters, I fully expect the IC will be going back.
Now you have me 2nd guessing my .675 IC purchase, well I'll be shooting hevi #6's and the hevi 5,6,7 blend as well as some Win x range Friday, I'm already considering getting a Pure Gold in before Friday

goblr77

The .675 constiction is the way to go in these guns if you choose IC. Maybe you will have better luck than I did with the POI.

goblr77

Thank you for posting that pattern golfernash! I got my Hevishot choke in today and the results were outstanding with the 2.25 oz #7's. I fired off the first shot when the wind was blowing and got 291. Not wanting to waste ammo, I waited a while for the wind to die down and got a blistering 331 on my second shot. Snowmen pellets were counted as two. I ran a couple of gray box 1-7/8 oz. lead #6's through it next and got good even killing patterns @ 40 with them as well. I've invested a lot of time and money in chokes trying to get the 26" barrel Xtrema to hang with my 24" barrel 835 and it finally paid off. My 12ga patterning is done for the year as I've  got only two boxes of last year's 2.25 oz 7's left for the season. BTW, the POI was dead on. I will post some pattern pics tomorrow.

wildturk

Not highjacking your thread, but im having he
ll with my xtrema.  Got an indian creek choke. 665, my poi was 12 inches low.  The numbers were decent but after hearing about the hevi-shot choke, I will be getting one.  When i started searching for a choke I was leaning heavy on the hevi-shot choke.

greenheadIL

Do you guys think this Hevi Shot choke would work with a Benelli SBE 1?  I also have a IC shooting a foot low at 40 and wanted to try another choke.  Trying to decide between Jellyhead, Rhino, PureGold, and this Hevi Shot choke.  Anyone know the diameter for the Benelli SBE with this Hevi Shot Choke?

goblr77

Quote from: greenheadIL on March 24, 2011, 05:40:02 PM
Do you guys think this Hevi Shot choke would work with a Benelli SBE 1?  I also have a IC shooting a foot low at 40 and wanted to try another choke.  Trying to decide between Jellyhead, Rhino, PureGold, and this Hevi Shot choke.  Anyone know the diameter for the Benelli SBE with this Hevi Shot Choke?

I don't know. If I'm not mistaken, the SBE I has a bore diameter of .725, and takes the standard Beretta/Benelli style mobile chokes. On the Cabelas website it says that particular Hevishot tube has an exit diameter of .650. If that's correct that would be a .075 constriction. Too much IMO but you never know without shooting one. Cabelas lists the Xtrema choke as having a .673 diameter when it's actually a .671. That's a .062 constriction for the .733 bore.