OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which choke for an Extrema and Hevi 13 #7's

Started by golfernash, March 12, 2011, 03:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golfernash

I am shooting a 3.5 Extrema and I want to shoot either Hevi Mag Blends or Hevi #7's. I currently have a .670 Kicks and a .660 Jelly head but I am waiting on my shells to test them out. Do you think one of these would work or do I need to try something different?

ILIKEHEVI-13

They should work well.  All you can do is try them.   :you_rock:

tjh24

I think you should be able to make something work. They are both good chokes.  I am shooting an Xtrema 2 with hevi 7s  in 3  1/2.  I have a hevi- shot tube and it works well for me. I am going to do a little more testing with it this afternoon and will post up some results.

goblr77

Please post your patterns after you shoot these chokes. I'm thinking the .660 will be too tight.

Longshanks

Ive been shooting the xtrema 2 for a couple of years now using the same chokes( Kicks .670 and Primos JH .660.  The Primos JH .660 patterned best with Nitro 4x5x7 but i believe it was over choked because it changed my point of aim big time.  Couldnt reel it in with adjustable tru glo iron sights. Shot a allot of shells and found the best patterns with Hevi 6's 2ounce 3 in shells.  The Kicks .670 seemed to shoot 3 in. extended range 6's the best.  It would also pattern Win. Supreme 5's and 6's amazingly well. Never tried the hevi 7's but am interested in trying them. Have you had time to try the 7's??  Interested in the results.  :z-guntootsmiley:

goblr77

Here are a couple of Xtrema and Hevi #7 patterns. I swapped out the IC .665 for a .675 w/o wad catchers. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though.

[attachment deleted by admin]

golfernash

I got to shoot a few rounds thru the Extrema today. I shot some 3.5 inch mag blends. The Jellyhead .660 as terrible. The pattern had some holes and it as consistently 6 inches left of center @ 40 yards. It was too much choke as some expected it would be. I then shot the Hevi-Shot choke which is a .671 constriction. The pattern as much more uniform and on target. My hevi 7's will be here tommorrow so I will give them a run and post the results.

EAST COAST TH

Quote from: goblr77 on March 15, 2011, 11:53:45 AM
Here are a couple of Xtrema and Hevi #7 patterns. I swapped out the IC .665 for a .675 w/o wad catchers. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though.

what made you try a IC .675 w/o wad catchers? I have a xtrema 2 and just got a IC black diamond in a .675 and going to try some Hevi 5-6-7's and #6's

golfernash

I found the perfect combo today. Hevi 13 #7, 3.5 inch, Hevi Shot .671 choke
316 hits in 10 inch circle @ 40 yards

[attachment deleted by admin]

goblr77

what made you try a IC .675 w/o wad catchers? I have a xtrema 2 and just got a IC black diamond in a .675 and going to try some Hevi 5-6-7's and #6's
[/quote]

IC sells the same choke for Xtremas and SBEII's although barrel diameter on an Xtrema is .733 vs the SBEII's .725. The Trulock .668 choke consistently outshot the IC .665 even though the exit diameter is only .003 larger. The Trulock has an entrance diameter to match the bore of the Xtrema and the internal finish is extremely smooth so I don't think the wad catchers are a necessity. Just going off a theory right now but I'm guessing .670 is the magic number for the IC in this gun but with the extra length of this choke the .675 might even do better. I will know for sure this weekend.

goblr77

Quote from: golfernash on March 16, 2011, 03:51:39 PM
I found the perfect combo today. Hevi 13 #7, 3.5 inch, Hevi Shot .671 choke
316 hits in 10 inch circle @ 40 yards

If that is a tape measured or lasered 40yards and you can shoot over 300 more than once I'm ordering that choke today.

golfernash

It was a lasered 40 yards. I will test it again and let you know the results.

golfernash

I just got back from shooting a few more shells thru the Extrema.
Extrema 3.5 inch Hevi 13 #7 w/ Hevi shot .671 choke
Lasered 40 yards 321 hits in 10 inch
Lasered 50 yards 152 hits in 10 inch
72 degrees

swampy

Wow that's smoking good. What lot# are the seven's your getting those number's with.
CLUCK, YELP, BOOM.

goblr77

Quote from: golfernash on March 17, 2011, 07:26:47 PM
I just got back from shooting a few more shells thru the Extrema.
Extrema 3.5 inch Hevi 13 #7 w/ Hevi shot .671 choke
Lasered 40 yards 321 hits in 10 inch
Lasered 50 yards 152 hits in 10 inch
72 degrees

There is a guy on GON's site claiming over 300 with that choke. Would that be you? Anyway, I'm taking your word for it and ordering one right now.