OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

H&r pardner or rossi single shot

Started by Onpoint, February 13, 2014, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

I'm gonna be buying a single shot 12 to send to William to have threaded for a choke and put a ff3 on it. I'm tired of lugging a heavy gun around. Which one of these guns would you pick. The rossi is 120 and the h&r is 170.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

drum817

I started on a H&R .410 ......so I have a soft spot for H&R....that'd be my choice!  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

turkeyhunter91

I have both, I have a 20ga rossi that I am planning on trying this season, i sent It to sumtoy to drill and tap it and thread it for chokes.  i believe with the rossi you can order different barrels without sending the receiver back also. Hope this helps

stinkpickle

I'm partial to H&R.  I haven't owned a Rossi, but a couple of my friends have, and they said they're "OK", but they like H&R's better.

mnbeardbuster

I too am partial to H&R.  I own 4, one is my son's and another is my daughter's.  With the H&R you could send it in to Remington for other barrels depending on the receiver for rifle or shotgun.  You can buy synthetic stocks (monte carlo and straight) and a couple different forearms.  If you choose the synthetic route, Limbsaver makes a recoil pad.  You might find some better prices on Gunbroker.  Search NEF, H&R and New England.  Best of luck with your decision shooting a single is rewarding.

Ky Gobbler

I like the h&r. They're very similar to the older New England single shot shotguns. I killed my first two turkeys with a New England 12 ga. They're very light and balanced.

FL-Boss

most of us started out with an old H&R... .410 for me, that I still have.   

Hooks' n' Beards'

i was all set to buy the h&r single shot a few weeks ago but went with a 20 ga pump.I still think i will pick up a H&R 10 ga or 12 ga to own.h&r is what i would purchase.

SheGotHoOks

TTT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djenkins32

I would go with h&r, i had a rossi 12 and that sucker dang near separated my shoulder with turkey loads

deadbuck

Ive owned both and the H&R is a better quality gun. Hope you are ok with recoil, because a 12 in 3 1/2 chamber is going to rock your world!

bushwhacker

I have an h&r 12 gauge 3" full choke that likes Winchester #4's pretty good. I killed my first turkey when I was 14 with it. But my 870 super mags with 3.5 inch loads won't hold a candle to it as far as recoil. It will make your eyes water and your shoulder blue. But I love to carry that old gun and I believe I may hunt with it this year. I just dread shooting paper with it, kicks like a bay mule.

Bama turkey hunter

Tony

mnbeardbuster

Here's my H&R collection.  Disregard the rifle, the rest are 12's and the bottom is a 20ga.  I purchased receivers off Gunbroker, purchased stocks and forearms from the same or Ebay and had Remington install the vent rib barrels.  Unfortunately, they no longer are offering that barrel.  I agree at the range the recoil can be punishing, but in the woods when focused on a big tom you'd hardly notice it.  The 20, I bought a complete youth gun and switched to synthetic and had it tapped and threaded.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase