OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem 870 Patterns

Started by jb177, March 12, 2011, 02:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb177

I mounted my Gobble dot sights and patterned my 23" 870 today with a .665 jellyhead choke.  Temp was in the 70's but had a 10mph wind left to right.  Feedback welcome. 

Here are the Win XR 3.5" #6's at 40 yards

The Hevi 3" #6 didn't do as well as I'd hoped.  Any suggestions?

This one is a little right, but still not very dense.  A lot of fliers.

Better...but not great.

nyhunter

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

jb177

Any  suggestions on the Hevi?  I really wanted those to shoot for me. 

msgobblergetter

Polish your barrel if you haven't already done so...Deep clean at the very least...Should bring those H13 6 patterns on in.  Also, make sure you are shooting H13 3' 2oz 6's and not the lighter payload 6's

jb177

I polished my barrel a couple of years ago, prb need to do it again.  Barrel might have been a little dirty as they were my last shots today.

ILIKEHEVI-13

The Hevi-13's will shoot.  You just have to find the right choke and load.  I'll give you an example from only a 1.75oz load of Hevi-13 6's.  Like I said right choke and load.  And this ought to only get better with the temp. 

You just got to play with chokes and exit diameters and loads. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Try that choke.  They are dirt cheap and will shoot.  The Hevi-13 2oz #6 loads only put 143 shot in a 10",  so I won't recommend that load in this choke.  But the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7 loads will light it up with this choke.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=956890&filter=ventilator&catid=0

ILIKEHEVI-13

Just so you can see how that same choke can shoot the Hevi-13 2oz #7 loads. 

bowhunter84

Gobble!

Why didn't you try the 3.5" #6 h13 shells? Also if your looking for better numbers try the 7s

jb177

I may try the 3.5 H13, but seen so many guys liking the 3" so I gave them a try.  I'd take them hunting nonetheless, I believe they'd get the job done, but still have 8-10 of the XR for this season and next.

jb177

Here are a few patterns from 2 years ago.  I don't like those targets b/c you can't see the hits too well in the pics.

Win XR 3.5" #6's at 40 yds.

Here is a lead pattern.  Win HV 3.5" #5's at 40 yds with factory Remington turkey choke.  I might even go back to this combo after looking at this pic again.  That should read 10" circle, not 20".

ILIKEHEVI-13

I will tell you once again to try the Hevi-13 #7's in 3.5".  With the right choke, you should light it up.  Try a .670 choke or that .665 Jelly Head may work.  I'd shoot one shot through it to see.  If it don't do good on 1 shot, don't waste anymore ammo.  Probably a .670 will give you better patterns in a good choke. 

bowhunter84