turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SBE II Choke suggestions

Started by DelDawg, February 11, 2014, 07:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelDawg

New to the forum and it didn't take long before I found an add for Dunn's selling a new SBEII for real cheap. Didn't need it but always wanted one and thought this would be the time to get it before I take the leap into marriage. Thanks to Jacob at Dunn's for helping to get my new gun to SC.

That being said, my 835 with a comp n choke is out and the SBE is in.

I have slew of Winchester Supremes #5 I would like to shoot, any one find a choke for an SBE that likes the #5 Supremes? Looked through all the posts but didn't see any that did, if there is one, I missed it.

Thanks for the help

Rick

nyhunter

:welcomeOG: 

The SBE II Is a finicky gun to get a good pattern out of. First off it's prolly not gonna pattern as good as your 835. But it will do good enough to kill turkeys. Most SBE II like a tighter choke I.E: .650 - .660 Mine how ever is the exception and really like's the .665 for some reason. I have spent A LOT of money on choke's and shells to get mine to pattern good. I have not yet found a lead load that it will pattern decent past 35yds. If I were you I would call and talk to Rob Roberts from Final Strut choke's Or William From SUM TOY choke's. Both will be able to help you get the right choke for the load you wanna shoot and they will work with you until your happy. Good luck and keep us posted on how the new gun patterns.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

.660 rhino and be done with it.

Forget the Winchester supreme 5s and get some Hevi13 6s in the 3.5" 2.25 ounce load.

PALongspur

Call Rob @ Gobbler Guns. Try all of his chokes, keep the one that likes those Supreme 5s and be done with it!  :icon_thumright:

nyhunter

Quote from: PALongspur on February 12, 2014, 08:59:50 AM
Call Rob @ Gobbler Guns. Try all of his chokes, keep the one that likes those Supreme 5s and be done with it!  :icon_thumright:
X 2 thats what I did, 

If you dont already have the H-13 from a previous year I'd stay away from them they went and changed the internal components AGAIN this year and they aren't putting up good patterns at all.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: DelDawg on February 11, 2014, 07:04:23 PM
New to the forum and it didn't take long before I found an add for Dunn's selling a new SBEII for real cheap. Didn't need it but always wanted one and thought this would be the time to get it before I take the leap into marriage. Thanks to Jacob at Dunn's for helping to get my new gun to SC.

That being said, my 835 with a comp n choke is out and the SBE is in.

I have slew of Winchester Supremes #5 I would like to shoot, any one find a choke for an SBE that likes the #5 Supremes? Looked through all the posts but didn't see any that did, if there is one, I missed it.

Thanks for the help

Rick

Hey Rick,

Welcome to OG. It's always good to have another member and we're glad you're here.

Benelli shotguns have been popular in this part of the world since the early 1990s when goose hunting was really strong here. The SBE was the first 3.5" self-loader and became available through a local gun shop that has since sold hundreds and hundred of them, along with all the other Benelli models.

Currently I have my original SBE with 24", 26" and 28" barrels, a Nova and a Vinci. I traded my SBEII when I bought the Vinci. The SBEII & Vinci use the "Crio" chokes but otherwise are the same as the Mobil choked SBE & Nova.

Your SBEII has a chrome-lined bore and bore can fool you into thinking it's clean when it may not be. Many shooters who've had patterning problems have resolved them by "deep cleaning" the bore. I recommend that even on brand new guns that have not been fired by the owner. It gets things started correctly.

Your SBEII will just keep on going even if the barrel is badly fouled (again because of the chrome this may not be too visible) but by and large it won't pattern as well as it will if it's clean.

Since I've owned the SBE since 1991, I've shot many different brands of ammo, in everything from #4 lead to #7 Hevi-Shot for turkeys through it, as well as a lot of goose loads and clays loads.

If you put the correct choke in it, it will do a good job with whatever you put through it. For maximum performance and patterning I'd choose one of Rob Robert's .650 chokes and #7 Hevi-13 shells or the SSX with #6 or #7 Hevi-13 shells. I'd choose 3" even though your gun will chamber the 3.5" shells. The 3" will do everything that you need and lessen the recoil.

There is nothing at all wrong with the #5 shot Supreme shells. They will not equal the Hevi-13s but since you have a lot of them, I'd take them to the range and try them through one of those chokes, after you've deep cleaned the bore. I suspect you'll find that they do just fine.

It did not take long for turkey hunters to "discover" them as I did in 1991 when I bought my first SBE. Since Benelli has made changes over the years but has left the bore of those guns the same, all the work we've done over the years to find the best chokes and shells still works very well.

We have a lot of folks carrying those guns to the turkey woods here every year and all the work that we've done on them for the past 15+ years has helped.

Please let us know how it works out for you and again, welcome.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

VaTuRkStOmPeR

If you want a tight 10" pattern, rhino is the choke to shoot.

If you want a 20" pattern, gobbler guns might be more appropriate.

Definitely 2 different perspectives on the definition of a quality pattern represented in this thread.

mudhen

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 12, 2014, 08:41:35 AM
.660 rhino and be done with it.

Forget the Winchester supreme 5s and get some Hevi13 6s in the 3.5" 2.25 ounce load.

This.

I might offer a few tweaks, the Jellyhead .660 is almost as good as the Rhino, and I might test a few Magnum Blend 3", for whatever reason, it seems to work well in the SBE II...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

reynolds243

I have a jelly. 660 for sale if your interested

beagler

I'm shooting a Rhino (.660) in my SBE 2 and getting very good results.
Never Misses

orion43

I'm using Rob's .665 and shooting nitro 4,5 and 7's.  Don't really know the shot count @ 40 yds, but have killed a bird in 3 different years at 53 yds.

DelDawg

All,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I am going to let rob do his thing with the gun. I have read a lot of reviews and I am hoping doing this will get me a gun I can pass down to my kids.

Will update the post with a pattern once I get it back.

Thanks,

Rick

reynolds243

Quote from: DelDawg on February 13, 2014, 03:45:07 PM
All,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I am going to let rob do his thing with the gun. I have read a lot of reviews and I am hoping doing this will get me a gun I can pass down to my kids.

Will update the post with a pattern once I get it back.

Thanks,

Rick

great choice...i did the same thing to my SBE2 and let rob fully work it over and i have not regretted it one bit.

mightyjoeyoung

Pure Gold .670 in my 24" bbl SBE II.  Very even, dense 250 in the 10" circle with 3.5/2.25/6 Hevi Shot at 40 yards. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

highcj5

new to the forum as well.  tried to order a sbe2 from dunn's yesterday.  they are out of them.  they are supposed to get more in and have put my name on a list for one.  after reading these post, when I get it, I will be buying a rob Roberts choke tube.  have a jellyhead on my franchi 912 right now, and have always liked it.  shot plenty of turkeys with it.  Rob Roberts seems to be the man with the benelli's.