Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Valid penetration testing of Winchester Longbeard XR?

Started by decoykrvr, February 11, 2014, 01:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klemsontigers7

Quote from: Redfish on February 12, 2014, 08:45:11 PM
I'll probably catch some heat for saying it but I don't understand why anyone would shoot lead these days. I know it will kill turkeys just fine but HTL just ups your odds by letting you shoot smaller shot so why save a couple of bucks per shell when you only shoot a few each season. I've killed just as many turkeys with lead as I have with HTL but man the heavy stuff just slams them to the point that I rarely see one flop after being hit. I like bringing them in close too but I don't see anything wrong with not having to worry about penetration if I do have to take a 40 yard shot.

I don't understand when people say "Hevi hits harder".  Yes, a number 6 Hevi hits harder than a number 6 lead at the same velocity.  But you do realize that you have less pellets in a number 6 Hevi vs a number 6 lead of the same weight of shot, right?  Hevi are more dense, meaning less pellets.  Number 5 lead is similar in weight to Hevi 6, so why not just shoot number 5 lead?  Hevi 6 are slow... 1090 is slow.....  Hope I didn't confuse you! (I think most Hevi shooters don't get it)

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: scdxt on February 12, 2014, 09:43:06 PM
I don't know but I'm shooting long beard 5 and 6 this year and opening day I am gonna look like this. LOL

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

owlhoot

Ya well , when i watch my kid shoot Hevi 6's out of a 20 at 35 yards and break the wing joint with them and  shot found in the keel bone  after cleaning the bird, this is multiple times. and I have been shooting a 3 1/2 super cannon with lead for years without doing that. When you shoot galvanized barn metal and compare 20 gauge 6 right threw and 3 1/2 super cannon 6 lead makes a dent. When you watch your buddy shoot his plywood backed target and see wood blow out the back with hevi and not his lead doing the same. Am not paying extra because it says hevi.

Ya i still shoot lead too. bbbbbbbbbbbbut realize the difference.
Now if we could see a longbeard penetration test soon.

davisd9

Moo
Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 12, 2014, 10:16:21 PM
I'll probably catch some heat for saying it but I don't understand why anyone would shoot lead these days. I know it will kill turkeys just fine but HTL just ups your odds by letting you shoot smaller shot so why save a couple of bucks per shell when you only shoot a few each season. I've killed just as many turkeys with lead as I have with HTL but man the heavy stuff just slams them to the point that I rarely see one flop after being hit. I like bringing them in close too but I don't see anything wrong with not having to worry about penetration if I do have to take a 40 yard shot.

I don't understand when people say "Hevi hits harder".  Yes, a number 6 Hevi hits harder than a number 6 lead at the same velocity.  But you do realize that you have less pellets in a number 6 Hevi vs a number 6 lead of the same weight of shot, right?  Hevi are more dense, meaning less pellets.  Number 5 lead is similar in weight to Hevi 6, so why not just shoot number 5 lead?  Hevi 6 are slow... 1090 is slow.....  Hope I didn't confuse you! (I think most Hevi shooters don't get it)

For someone that does not have enough time on here to have any kind of positive reputation on here you sure seem to think your opinions are fact. The difference in lead 6  and hevi 6 is the hevi is denser. Therefore using physics, something heavier/denser will carry more energy and translate that energy when hitting an object. Hevi-Shot #6s carry the energy of lead 4s when they hit at their 12 g/cc. Federal HW s are 15 g/cc making them hit harder and TSS is 18 g/cc. Hopefully you can understand that the larger the number the harder they hit and that is why one can use smaller shot when using a denser shot.

With Hevi traveling at 1090 and your precious long beards traveling at 1200 the same shot size in the denser shot will hit harder.

If you want to shoot lead then more power to you. Shoot what you want as long as it is legal where you are hunting.

Seems like every thread you and your buddies are in turn hostile because of y'all knowing it all. I promise you that many of these guys forgot more about hunting turkeys than you or me will know. Nobody likes a jackass.

Sit back and enjoy conversation here. Good luck and have a good season.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Bama turkey hunter

Tony

klemsontigers7

Quote from: davisd9 on February 12, 2014, 10:38:02 PM
Moo
Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 12, 2014, 10:16:21 PM

For someone that does not have enough time on here to have any kind of positive reputation on here you sure seem to think your opinions are fact. The difference in lead 6  and hevi 6 is the hevi is denser. Therefore using physics, something heavier/denser will carry more energy and translate that energy when hitting an object. Hevi-Shot #6s carry the energy of lead 4s when they hit at their 12 g/cc. Federal HW s are 15 g/cc making them hit harder and TSS is 18 g/cc. Hopefully you can understand that the larger the number the harder they hit and that is why one can use smaller shot when using a denser shot.

With Hevi traveling at 1090 and your precious long beards traveling at 1200 the same shot size in the denser shot will hit harder.

If you want to shoot lead then more power to you. Shoot what you want as long as it is legal where you are hunting.

Seems like every thread you and your buddies are in turn hostile because of y'all knowing it all. I promise you that many of these guys forgot more about hunting turkeys than you or me will know. Nobody likes a jackass.

Sit back and enjoy conversation here. Good luck and have a good season.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

You obviously didn't read my post. With bachelors and masters degrees in engineering I think I know a little about different metals.  What advantage does a smaller Hevi size bring over a larger lead? 

Old Gobbler

Its the off season now ,its  cold outside and there  ain't much to do ...cabin fever season some call it , and sometimes people start fussin over things , when you look back at these things, you realize they are not that important to getting upset about or getting someone else angry over - were asking that people refrain from antagonizing posts and or antagonistic personal messages in the future

Thanks in advance -- Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon