Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Valid penetration testing of Winchester Longbeard XR?

Started by decoykrvr, February 11, 2014, 01:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scdxt

Quote from: Longshanks on February 11, 2014, 05:39:02 PM
Quote from: scdxt on February 11, 2014, 04:13:45 PM
Lead 4,5,6 is lead 4,5,6 period.................It was killing turkeys for years at 40 yards with people that would put 90 pellets in 10" and be happy. I have personally killed my fair share of turkeys at 40 with lead 6 and also hevi 6 and and i cant tell a difference dead is dead. I have used 5s also. But now at 40 yards we can put about 3 times the shot in there head neck. I think the longbeards will kill better than standard lead due to the more shot per square inch but in the end its still lead.

I agree, Win longbeard is just a more effective lead load inside 40yds. Effective enough that expensive HTL is not needed.. I'm ok with that. Glad Winchester came out with an economical solution to spending 6-10 per shell. People have been thinking they could take long shots at turkey's since HTL came out. Avid turkey hunters know what's ethical and the rest will find out what works and what doesn't work by making their mistakes like everyone has in turkey hunting.
Couldnt have been said better

WyoHunter

Lead 4,5,6 is lead 4,5,6 period.................It was killing turkeys for years at 40 yards with people that would put 90 pellets in 10" and be happy. I have personally killed my fair share of turkeys at 40 with lead 6 and also hevi 6 and and i cant tell a difference dead is dead. I have used 5s also. But now at 40 yards we can put about 3 times the shot in there head neck. I think the longbeards will kill better than standard lead due to the more shot per square inch but in the end its still lead.
I agree with you. As most of us know a lot of turkeys have fallen to lead shot. It was when you don't point the gun right or misjudge the yardage is when you have problems.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

davisd9

Quote from: WyoHunter on February 12, 2014, 06:09:30 PM
I agree with you. As most of us know a lot of turkeys have fallen to lead shot. It was when you don't point the gun right or misjudge the yardage is when you have problems.

Agreed! Be prepared for when everything goes wrong, not when the situation is perfect!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlhoot

Lots and lots of turkeys killed at 40 yards with lead , not at 35, not at 41-45. but at 40.
If lead 6's are lacking past 40 it is time to use 5's or 4's with lead shot, don't you think?
many say that past 40 if you misjudge the yardage and lead 6's will be lacking the power you need.
Why use a load you have to make excuses about?
Should we not have a little room for error too?

Or use the heavier than lead stuff, people don't have much to say bad even about the 7's in Hevi 13 or the Heavy weight federal 7's or even the tss 8 or 9 shot in the very small gauges.
Why is that?

Redfish

I'll probably catch some heat for saying it but I don't understand why anyone would shoot lead these days. I know it will kill turkeys just fine but HTL just ups your odds by letting you shoot smaller shot so why save a couple of bucks per shell when you only shoot a few each season. I've killed just as many turkeys with lead as I have with HTL but man the heavy stuff just slams them to the point that I rarely see one flop after being hit. I like bringing them in close too but I don't see anything wrong with not having to worry about penetration if I do have to take a 40 yard shot.
John 3:16

scdxt

Quote from: owlhoot on February 12, 2014, 08:28:21 PM
Lots and lots of turkeys killed at 40 yards with lead , not at 35, not at 41-45. but at 40.
If lead 6's are lacking past 40 it is time to use 5's or 4's with lead shot, don't you think?
many say that past 40 if you misjudge the yardage and lead 6's will be lacking the power you need.

Or use the heavier than lead stuff, people don't have much to say bad even about the 7's in Hevi 13 or the Heavy weight federal 7's or even the tss 8 or 9 shot in the very small gauges.
Why is that?
Well buddy i can first hand tell you that lead 6 has the power to kill if you misjudge.These birds ant made of steel. I agree with the room for error but if people cant judge 40 pretty close then they need to bow hunt a little while it might teach them a thing or two.Or set up on a bird when u first see him top the ridge or hill  he is 25-30 yds. I know things happen in the woods cause I am guilty myself  of misjudging 45 for 40. But if people cant tell 60 from 40 then they might want to order some  hevi 2s lol

scdxt

Quote from: scdxt on February 12, 2014, 08:51:11 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on February 12, 2014, 08:28:21 PM

Why is that?
Well buddy i can first hand tell you that lead 6 has the power to kill if you misjudge.These birds ant made of steel. I agree with the room for error but if people cant judge 40 pretty close then they need to bow hunt a little while it might teach them a thing or two.Or set up on a bird when u first see him top the ridge or hill  he is 25-30 yds. I know things happen in the woods cause I am guilty myself  of misjudging 45 for 40. But if people cant tell 60 from 40 then they might want to order some  hevi 2s lol
I have always wanted to try htl 7s myself.I have shot the 6s.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Redfish on February 12, 2014, 08:45:11 PM
I'll probably catch some heat for saying it but I don't understand why anyone would shoot lead these days. I know it will kill turkeys just fine but HTL just ups your odds by letting you shoot smaller shot so why save a couple of bucks per shell when you only shoot a few each season. I've killed just as many turkeys with lead as I have with HTL but man the heavy stuff just slams them to the point that I rarely see one flop after being hit. I like bringing them in close too but I don't see anything wrong with not having to worry about penetration if I do have to take a 40 yard shot.

I might catch some heat too,but oh well.I shoot lead,been shooting lead for 30+ years,I have played around some with the HTL shells,but just can't justify the outrageous cost.You say the small shot just slams them,and you don't see anything wrong with penetration,or worry about a 40 yd shot.
The #5 and 4's that I shoot  have no problems with penetration out at 40yds or beyond.I have never lost a bird because of shooting old large size lead pellets.I hear and read all about how the HTL 7's just roll them over in a cloud of dust,no they don't near about have the pellet #'s of the 7's,but the birds I have rolled with a 2oz load of 4's never knew what just rocked their world.I mean dead is dead.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Philippe

I heard they are using a special heavier lead blend in the long beards.

scdxt

Quote from: Philippe on February 12, 2014, 09:28:12 PM
I heard that myself. I will text Klemsontigers7 ask if he weighed them today.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: vaturkey on February 11, 2014, 05:06:25 PM

Shoot some Fed HW's @ that plywood & you will see daylight !!  :icon_thumright:
same here.... I always shoot with a plywood backer , and one day I was testing magblends and federal hw #7s , and man that hw7 has knockdown power you can't even understand - it blows right through 1/2 HARDWOOD ply like butta -- the 4,s and 5s in the magblends went straight through also 

These longbeards shoot fantastically tight ,I was wondering has anyone weighed or counted the pellets in the new load to see if they are actually size  #6 lead pellets ?
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

scdxt

I don't know but I'm shooting long beard 5 and 6 this year and opening day I am gonna look like this. LOL

Redfish

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 12, 2014, 09:27:02 PM
Quote from: Redfish on February 12, 2014, 08:45:11 PM

I might catch some heat too,but oh well.I shoot lead,been shooting lead for 30+ years,I have played around some with the HTL shells,but just can't justify the outrageous cost.You say the small shot just slams them,and you don't see anything wrong with penetration,or worry about a 40 yd shot.
The #5 and 4's that I shoot  have no problems with penetration out at 40yds or beyond.I have never lost a bird because of shooting old large size lead pellets.I hear and read all about how the HTL 7's just roll them over in a cloud of dust,no they don't near about have the pellet #'s of the 7's,but the birds I have rolled with a 2oz load of 4's never knew what just rocked their world.I mean dead is dead.

I definitely see your point. I actually shoot MagBlends 5-6-7s as I like having some bigger shot in the pattern too. I used to shoot lead 5's and they definitely do the job. For me the cost difference just doesn't figure. In Florida we are only allowed two birds. Last year I used two shells. Considering it costs me $30 in gas to get to my lease and back home, not to mention the hundreds I spend on leasing land and buying junk I don't really need from Cabelas, spending three dollars more a shell is not a deal breaker. I'm just thankful that with the exception of California we live in a country where we can shoot whatever load we like.
John 3:16

BandedSpur

Quote from: Philippe on February 12, 2014, 09:28:12 PM

Given Winch's penchant for marketing hyperbole, I bet we would have seen it in print by now if they were.
What are you thinking, maybe a little spent Uranium mixed in?

Bama turkey hunter

Hey my nabor has some yard turkeys if y'all want me to test those 6's out to 50,60 and 70 :funnyturkey:
Tony