Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Valid penetration testing of Winchester Longbeard XR?

Started by decoykrvr, February 11, 2014, 01:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

Has anyone done any penetration tests of the Winchester XR w/ the various sizes of shot at ranges in excess of 40 yards?  In evaluating duck, goose and turkey loads, both commercially manufactured and reloads, I have historically used 1/4" Marine Grade plywood to gauge the penetration.  In my experience, at the distance the shot has insufficient kinetic energy to penetrate the 1/4" plywood you have a crippling, rather than, killing load.  Holes in paper at long range, don't equate to the penetration required to cleanly kill a turkey.  Based on the current hype and advertising, I'm afraid there is going to be a lot of, "I don't know what happened. I knocked him down, but he got up and ran away."

klemsontigers7

So you're asking if anyone has done testing, but you're saying it won't penetrate.  Are you stirring the pot?  Or have you done testing?

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Haterz gonna hate

Borden811

Did you read what he wrote? He didn't say it wouldn't penetrate. He's guessing past 40 yards, people are going to have trouble. And I'd say he's right. 6s lack the energy much past 40, and while the 5s and 4s might have the needed energy, the patterns usually deteriorate rapidly past 40. He explained how he tested waterfowl loads in the past, and asked if anyone had done anything similar with the LBs. He's not stirring the pot, he's asking a legitimate question. But, since no one should be shooting past 40 anyway, and discussions of such are frowned upon here, it's a moot point. I would however like to see tests comparing the hevi 6s and 7s and the LB 4s, 5s, and 6s at 40 yards, just to compare them.

ericjames

Quote from: Borden811 on February 11, 2014, 02:27:02 PM
Did you read what he wrote? He didn't say it wouldn't penetrate. He's guessing past 40 yards, people are going to have trouble. And I'd say he's right. 6s lack the energy much past 40, and while the 5s and 4s might have the needed energy, the patterns usually deteriorate rapidly past 40. He explained how he tested waterfowl loads in the past, and asked if anyone had done anything similar with the LBs. He's not stirring the pot, he's asking a legitimate question. But, since no one should be shooting past 40 anyway, and discussions of such are frowned upon here, it's a moot point. I would however like to see tests comparing the hevi 6s and 7s and the LB 4s, 5s, and 6s at 40 yards, just to compare them.

That's what I got out of his post also.

drum817

Quote from: ericjames on February 11, 2014, 02:40:32 PM

Same here.  I'd like to see a penetration test...just for fun.  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

davisd9

Quote from: drum817 on February 11, 2014, 02:56:16 PM
Quote from: ericjames on February 11, 2014, 02:40:32 PM

Same here.  I'd like to see a penetration test...just for fun.  :icon_thumright:

I think some maybe surprised at 40 yards with lead 6s.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SCDieselDawg

I'm seeing quite a few of the LBs barely stuck in the plywood backer of my patterning board. They're the only copper plated shot that's been used on it and they've all been from 40 yds.

drum817

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on February 11, 2014, 03:13:05 PM
I'm seeing quite a few of the LBs barely stuck in the plywood backer of my patterning board. They're the only copper plated shot that's been used on it and they've all been from 40 yds.

I wouldn't worry about that....I've seen the same thing with HTL too at 40yards.  Is your paterning board 3/4" plywood?

SCDieselDawg

Not sure, it's either 1/2 or 3/4. I found it in the junk pile behind the barn so it's pretty well saturated with rain water to boot.

scdxt

Lead 4,5,6 is lead 4,5,6 period.................It was killing turkeys for years at 40 yards with people that would put 90 pellets in 10" and be happy. I have personally killed my fair share of turkeys at 40 with lead 6 and also hevi 6 and and i cant tell a difference dead is dead. I have used 5s also. But now at 40 yards we can put about 3 times the shot in there head neck. I think the longbeards will kill better than standard lead due to the more shot per square inch but in the end its still lead.

vaturkey

Shoot some Fed HW's @ that plywood & you will see daylight !!  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

Longshanks

Quote from: scdxt on February 11, 2014, 04:13:45 PM
Lead 4,5,6 is lead 4,5,6 period.................It was killing turkeys for years at 40 yards with people that would put 90 pellets in 10" and be happy. I have personally killed my fair share of turkeys at 40 with lead 6 and also hevi 6 and and i cant tell a difference dead is dead. I have used 5s also. But now at 40 yards we can put about 3 times the shot in there head neck. I think the longbeards will kill better than standard lead due to the more shot per square inch but in the end its still lead.

I agree, Win longbeard is just a more effective lead load inside 40yds. Effective enough that expensive HTL is not needed.. I'm ok with that. Glad Winchester came out with an economical solution to spending 6-10 per shell. People have been thinking they could take long shots at turkey's since HTL came out. Avid turkey hunters know what's ethical and the rest will find out what works and what doesn't work by making their mistakes like everyone has in turkey hunting.

scdxt

Quote from: Longshanks on February 11, 2014, 05:39:02 PM

I agree, Win longbeard is just a more effective lead load inside 40yds. Effective enough that expensive HTL is not needed.. I'm ok with that :you_rock:
And i agree with you sir

drum817

Quote from: Longshanks on February 11, 2014, 05:39:02 PM

Win longbeard is just a more effective lead load inside 40yds. Effective enough that expensive HTL is not needed.. I'm ok with that. Glad Winchester came out with an economical solution to spending 6-10 per shell. People have been thinking they could take long shots at turkey's since HTL came out. Avid turkey hunters know what's ethical and the rest will find out what works and what doesn't work by making their mistakes like everyone has in turkey hunting.

:agreed:   That's the same place I'm at with the whole thing....I NEVER shoot past 40...heck, "most" of the time it's under 30!!!  I'm just ready to get of the house and GO HUNTING!!!   :fud: :OGani:

ILIKEHEVI-13

If the pattern density is there, lead 6's will kill to 40yds every single time.  But I agree that lead 6's on a misjudged bird past the 40yd mark starts lacking penetration very quickly.   I get better and I mean way better penetration on Hevi-13 #7's than what lead 6's ever thought about getting at 40yds.  I don't care what the ft lb charts say either.  They lie.