turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

winchester extended range question!?

Started by old3toe, February 10, 2014, 06:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old3toe

Went to check out new turkey ammo at the local store and they had the new longbeard shells in stock. They were 23.99 a box. They also had quite a bit of extended range in three shot sizes as well. Just wondering if anyone knows if they're bringing the ER back on the market. I used to shoot the 3.5" 5 shot and loved them. This same store told me all year last year they couldn't get anymore and i asked a bunch.lol Finally they said they've been discontinued and will not be offered when we get our next shipment. Now out of the blue this year they have them! Anyway i reckon I'm done with the outragous prices and here today gone tomorrow scene not to mention the changinging components and recipe game.lol Think I'm gonna stick with the lead loads from here on out!! Almost forgot.The etended range was 45.99 a box.

Beard Collecter

I went to the Outdoor show in P.A this weekend and made a trip to Cabelas in Hamburg. They had E.R #4 shot as well. They only had 6 boxes. I as well am done with these loads. I did pick up a couple of boxes of Long Beard #5 even though I said I would not because of their irresponsible advertising. If they shoot well out of my SBE2 they will be a 40yd load for me.

Swamprunner

ER 6's are the best factory load ever made and worth the money.

allaboutshooting

What you are seeing now are left over shells from when they quit loading it in early 2012.

Many warehouses still had some stored away, kind of like finding Remington H.S. several years after it had been discontinued.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

old3toe

Beard collector i know what you mean. I read on the back of the box that the long beards put more pellets in a ten inch circle at sixty yards than most lead loads will at shorter ranges or something along those lines. It isn't the best advertisement line as far as ethics go. However i think their relying on the individual hunter to decide the range at which they shoot at. Seems no matter what loads people use there will always be those that take the extreme shots whether they're shooting heavier than lead or straight lead. Some people just have to shoot! I bumped into a fellow one year that was telling me all about his 835 shotgun and how bad it was. Can't remember the choke he had in it but went on to tell me how this gun and choke will smoke anything x amount of yards.This raised an eybrow for sure and i finally asked what kinda loads he was shooting. He pulled out a few 3.5" steel shot loads and went on about how he would outshoot any kind of lead and choke combo around. Now I'm not a genius but my thinking and experience with steel shot very far is very limited much less can throw denser patterns than any lead load three quarters of a football field. I just smile and asked how many he's killed with them and he said several! I told him as long as it works consistently for him that's all that matters.lol. Another time i was hunting ft. campbell military base and had a guy sneak in behind me. I heard and seen him putting on his best stalking effort! I tried to get his attention but . Finally he raised his gun and i took cover. He shot at my gobbler decoy over my left shoulder.lol I jumped up and ran torwards him and he tore out of there way faster than i could go.lol From where he was standing was approximately 80yds from my decoy!! So my way of thinking is there is always gonna be the ones that just have to shoot no matter what. and then there's the ones that always want that extra five or ten yards closer.

Fatbeard

If there were some 3 1/5 #5 I would take All of IT! Where was it
East TN Beard Buster

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Fatbeard on February 10, 2014, 11:58:45 PM
If there were some 3 1/5 #5 I would take All of IT! Where was it

Mainly what was left in the warehouse was #4 shot. As far as I know, most if not all of the #5 and #6 was sold, at least to retailers who may still have some on their shelves.

It is always possible however for a stash to be found somewhere and appear on the market down the road. It happens.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

bunk

The extended range was 45.99 a box.
[/quote]

I was in a local store 2 weeks ago and they had some Hevi 13 31/2 #7s for $46.99 a box. I went back to lead last year and don't see myself changing. All the turkeys I've shot with Hevi I could have taken with lead. I like the killing power and pattern density of the heavier than lead stuff but for me it's over kill. I don't take long shots.

old3toe

Fatbeard i was at uncle lees in greenville ky. They had4, 5, and 6 shot all 3.5"..can't remember if they had any three inch.They had a ton of winchester ammo. I do believe they had every turkey load,length,and shot size winchester makes.lol

Gobble!

Quote from: bunk on February 11, 2014, 01:46:17 PM
The extended range was 45.99 a box.

I was in a local store 2 weeks ago and they had some Hevi 13 31/2 #7s for $46.99 a box. I went back to lead last year and don't see myself changing. All the turkeys I've shot with Hevi I could have taken with lead. I like the killing power and pattern density of the heavier than lead stuff but for me it's over kill. I don't take long shots.
[/quote]

Their increased prices and inconsistency is why I will be shooting Nitros this year.

callwinner11

alot of us get caught up in the number game.. i no i DID!!!!!!!

agturkey

Quote from: old3toe on February 10, 2014, 06:17:25 PM
Went to check out new turkey ammo at the local store and they had the new longbeard shells in stock. They were 23.99 a box. They also had quite a bit of extended range in three shot sizes as well. Just wondering if anyone knows if they're bringing the ER back on the market. I used to shoot the 3.5" 5 shot and loved them. This same store told me all year last year they couldn't get anymore and i asked a bunch.lol Finally they said they've been discontinued and will not be offered when we get our next shipment. Now out of the blue this year they have them! Anyway i reckon I'm done with the outragous prices and here today gone tomorrow scene not to mention the changinging components and recipe game.lol Think I'm gonna stick with the lead loads from here on out!! Almost forgot.The etended range was 45.99 a box.

He was at Uncle Lees

You did not take any pictures of all the 11.99 boxes?
You must have been there after me!

old3toe

No i just took one of the extended range because there would have been several on here saying i mistook them for the new longbeard ER. The 9.99-11.99 Loads can usually be found at the big box stores much cheaper. Especially the super x loads. I did notice they had some heavy game loads that were 1 oz in various shot sizes in the 20 ga for 7.99. Those were pretty scarce for a while. Atleast under 12.00 a box.