OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

winchester LB and SSX?

Started by darron, February 10, 2014, 12:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

has anyone shot the new lead load out of the ssx? If so, how did it perform?

SCDieselDawg

I shot the 3" #6s in my 835 with a SSX it went 160s with a filthy barrel.  I saw another guy over in the patterning section who went 250/260 with the 3.5" #6s with the same setup.

klemsontigers7

Quote from: darron on February 10, 2014, 12:18:14 PM
has anyone shot the new lead load out of the ssx? If so, how did it perform?

Go to the turkey pattern section... it has been done with 263 and 261 in 10" out of a Mossberg 835.  I know the guy who shot it and shot there last weekend too (41 yards).

scdxt

I was sitting next to Matt when he shot the 260s in 10" at 41 yd. Its at my house. I think the longbeards and the ssx is about the perfect match. I just cant make myself shoot a choke made in china. Im a machinist myself and i understand metal and heat treatment and i dont think the Chinese have either figured out. Next time you are in a store pick up a usa made choke and the ssx and compare them and you will see the difference in quality.Truglo should make this choke in USA and i would shoot it in all my guns. If everyone thought like this we might be buying things made in America again and unemployment might be so high...........just my opinion

BandedSpur

Some of these amazing numbers we are seeing with Winch LB 6s indicate that they are running a bit undersize. The 2 oz load of Pb 6s in the 3.5" LBs should contain 450 pellets if they are true 6s. I've seen pattern claims up to 524 pellets in a 20" circle, which is 74 more pellets than the shell "should" contain. So folks need to beware, due to the fall off in energy for pellets smaller than size 6, these are not 60 yd loads, no matter how good the numbers. But they are flat going to put a hurtin' on Mr. Tom @ 40.

R AJ

I have also been advised that some of the resin particles are in the pattern and may account for some of shot count.

Philippe

Quote from: BandedSpur on February 11, 2014, 10:28:52 AM
Some of these amazing numbers we are seeing with Winch LB 6s indicate that they are running a bit undersize. The 2 oz load of Pb 6s in the 3.5" LBs should contain 450 pellets if they are true 6s. I've seen pattern claims up to 524 pellets in a 20" circle, which is 74 more pellets than the shell "should" contain. So folks need to beware, due to the fall off in energy for pellets smaller than size 6, these are not 60 yd loads, no matter how good the numbers. But they are flat going to put a hurtin' on Mr. Tom @ 40.

Someone needs to cut one open and just see how they compare in count to another 2 oz #6 shell.

klemsontigers7

Quote from: RAJ on February 11, 2014, 10:50:36 AM
I have also been advised that some of the resin particles are in the pattern and may account for some of shot count.

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard.

drum817

Not sure where you heard this but I SERIOUSLY doubt that "resin" is traveling 40 yards.  That stuff gets pulverized into powder upon detonation of the shell.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

SCDieselDawg

Of the few I've shot, that stuff came out in a fine cloud of dust. It almost looked like I had shot a muzzle loader and it lingered in the air just like black powder. I've haven't seen it in the 3.5"  nearly as bad as the 3" shells.

scdxt

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on February 11, 2014, 05:58:38 PM

Of the few I've shot, that stuff came out in a fine cloud of dust. It almost looked like I had shot a muzzle loader and it lingered in the air just like black powder. I've haven't seen it in the 3.5"  nearly as bad as the 3" shells.
Im actually kinda worried about breathing that crap.It sparkles in the sun. Us longbeard users will have asbestos's when we are 50 lol But hey we hunting with smokepoles now

klemsontigers7

I just counted 369 pellets in a 3" #6. Haters gonna hate.

scdxt

Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 11, 2014, 06:14:01 PM
I just counted 369 pellets in a 3" #6. Haters gonna hate.
You should have cut a 3.5" and gave me that 3" lol

owlhoot

Who knows for sure what the magic dust can do :goofball: :goofball: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :newmascot: