turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

finally shot some 3.5" longbeard 6

Started by fountain2, February 09, 2014, 05:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Thanks for posting your results, I'm fired up with the results I've seen. Looking forward to 2 dollars a shell (3") rather than 6-7. Price of Hevi is steadily going up and pattern results are going down. Tired of being burnt by ammunition companies on all kinds of ammo. The results I have seen I would carry around in the woods no problem. Nice patterns at 40 yds for a reasonable price..perfect.

mwr

Quote from: drum817 on February 10, 2014, 08:31:57 PM
Quote from: mwr on February 10, 2014, 08:09:59 PM
It exclusive at Bass Pro

No ....not exclusive....but they seem to be the only ones who have it in stock right now.
You're correct Tim,but I know Bass Pro is getting the biggest supply of it....

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's the 3.5" #6 Long Beard 835 20" barrel pattern using a SumToy .675. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's the 3.5" #6 Long Beard 870 pattern using a Jelly Head .660.

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

fountain2

Thanks for posting those brad.  Pretty good patterns and mind blowing for lead.  My buddy is actually a little worried about his being too tight! 
I sure hope we don't run into the whole lot # deal like we did with the "good" hevi shot loads several years back.  I also hope they don't discontinue or continuously swap components like hevi did as well

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: fountain2 on February 11, 2014, 07:19:52 AM
Thanks for posting those brad.  Pretty good patterns and mind blowing for lead.  My buddy is actually a little worried about his being too tight! 
I sure hope we don't run into the whole lot # deal like we did with the "good" hevi shot loads several years back.  I also hope they don't discontinue or continuously swap components like hevi did as well

Your welcome. 

And I hear you on all counts. 

FttFttVroom!

Wow, those numbers are close to what I'm getting with my Hevi 7's!  I would much rather pay lead prices for that performance and get more shells per box to boot.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

You guys are forgetting that the kinetic energy of Hevi-13 is far superior to lead.

A 252@40 lead pattern is impressive but it does not retain the killing power of 252@40 with h13.  The harder you hit them, the better as far as I'm concerned.

As far as softball sized patterns at 20 yards go.... You need to go to the range if you can't hit a turkey with a softball sized pattern at 20 yards.

reynolds243

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 12, 2014, 08:49:26 AM
You guys are forgetting that the kinetic energy of Hevi-13 is far superior to lead.

A 252@40 lead pattern is impressive but it does not retain the killing power of 252@40 with h13.  The harder you hit them, the better as far as I'm concerned.

As far as softball sized patterns at 20 yards go.... You need to go to the range if you can't hit a turkey with a softball sized pattern at 20 yards.

Preach it brother :)

klemsontigers7

I was never impressed with the patterns of Hevi.  The most I got was 169 out of 2 different guns, 5 different chokes, and 4 different Hevi loads.

If Hevi could put 252 in the 10, I would probably shoot it. 

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 12, 2014, 08:57:20 AM

I was never impressed with the patterns of Hevi.  The most I got was 169 out of 2 different guns, 5 different chokes, and 4 different Hevi loads.

Sorry to hear about your trouble with h13.

Both of my two primary turkey guns go over 250 with h13 6s in the 2.25 ounce loads running Sumtoy and Indian Creek choke tubes with polished barrels.

reynolds243

Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 12, 2014, 08:57:20 AM

I'm failing to understand the problem with 162 and HV 6 shot. That is very good numbers and a lot of energy going down range. Id take 162 in heavy alloy then 200 in lead personally if the overall pattern was good and even.

klemsontigers7

It wasn't even. My SBE2 was even worse. None of my guns liked it.

goblr77

Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 12, 2014, 12:08:23 PM
It wasn't even. My SBE2 was even worse. None of my guns liked it.

They weren't choked right then.