OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke suggestions for a 870 SEM

Started by tomstopper, February 09, 2014, 01:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Had a great lady give me an 870 Super Express Magnum & I am looking for advice for a choke for it. I bought a bunch of Turkey Thug size 6 3.5in or my Stoger 3500 b/c they patterned great so I will probably try these shells first. Any suggestions on what you guys are using??

Philippe

Currently nothing in my Rem 870 SM, It was setup for a Jellyhead .660 and Magblends, but i've gotten away from the Hevi shells and have gone back to all lead. But it does toss a mean pattern with the TruGlo SSX .643 and the Thugs. Also have a look at Winchesters new Longbeard shells. I have a lot of testing myself to do but I can almost predict what is going to shoot well from this gun.

If you want to go the custom route give William at Sumtoy a call, he can make anything you want.

Deputy 14

Sumtoy is the best choice. However, I would choke them down, probably somewhere in the .640s .650s range.

Greenshed Longbeard

I have an 870 express super mag. I choked the gun with a .655 comp-n-choke and patterened the gun with the new longbeard 3.5 #6 and was very pleased. I am a fan of #5 shot and do have concerns with the 6's but for the beginning of the season this is what I am going with.
Greenshed Longbeard

ILIKEHEVI-13

For the money, I would look no farther than this choke for the 870 shotguns in either 3" or 3.5" to kill turkeys with most loads.  It will set you back about $24 shipped.  And I would bet money you won't find another choke for the price at least retail anyway that will beat it for patterns for the money with most loads.  It's a .655 choke and yes you can shoot Hevi-13 loads through it.  This choke loves Hevi-13 7's or 6's.   

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/956890.htm

tomstopper

Thanks ILIKEHEVI-13. I will give this a try b/c I have been seeing others rave about this choke as well. Thanks again.