OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey vest mods

Started by CASH, February 09, 2014, 08:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CASH

Do any of y'all make any modifications to your turkey vest?  I usually don't, but this year I've decided to add a holster to my vest to carry my pistol. I carry a sidearm religiously, but if I carry it in my regular holster on my side, my weapon is under my vest which defeats the purpose of being able to draw it.

Been working on it this weekend. It's still a work in progress and has been a pain in the A, but once I get it finished and get a retention strap on I think I'll be happy with it.

Please don't start a debate on whether I need to carry a sidearm while turkey hunting or whether or not you would do it.

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Skeeterbait

Yes, I have a Bianchi Black Widow left hand holster sewed to the inside of the vest on the left side.  This way it is cross draw and concealed  between the vest and me.  A sub-compact 45 rides in it.  Other mods I have made are sewing neoprene 5" fly reel cases inside a large pocket to hold pot calls and sewed strips of leafy material all over the outside.

catdaddy

I like it a lot--good job!!

VA_Birdhunter

Thats Awesome!!  Great idea too!!   :icon_thumright:
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

redarrow

Great idea.I don't think I could carry my Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag like that though.Dang thing must weigh 100 pounds.

CASH

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 09, 2014, 09:20:43 AM
Yes, I have a Bianchi Black Widow left hand holster sewed to the inside of the vest on the left side.  This way it is cross draw and concealed  between the vest and me.

Yeah, I'm trying to decide if I want to go further inside the vest for concealment. Drawing won't be a problem, but sewing it on will as far as sewing inside the pockets so I don't sew them shut.

CASH

Quote from: redarrow on February 09, 2014, 09:37:50 AM
Great idea.I don't think I could carry my Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag like that though.Dang thing must weigh 100 pounds.

Lol. Dirty Harry turkey hunter

Skeeterbait

Quote from: CASH on February 09, 2014, 09:38:38 AM
Drawing won't be a problem, but sewing it on will as far as sewing inside the pockets so I don't sew them shut.

I've sewed a lot of stuff like that.  Put the vest on a sturdy hanger and hang it over a door opening.  Pin the item where you want it.  Then use one hand inside the vest pocket.  put the need in from the outside then immediately turn it around with the fingers of the blind hand and put it back thru.  Then pull the thread tight from the outside.  Doesn't take long to train the blind hand and eye so the needle comes back out where you expected it to.  Another trick I have used it to put something hard like a thin piece of wood in the pocket and sew from the outside using a small curved needle.

CASH

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 09, 2014, 10:28:28 AM
Quote from: CASH on February 09, 2014, 09:38:38 AM
Drawing won't be a problem, but sewing it on will as far as sewing inside the pockets so I don't sew them shut.

I've sewed a lot of stuff like that.  Put the vest on a sturdy hanger and hang it over a door opening.  Pin the item where you want it.  Then use one hand inside the vest pocket.  put the need in from the outside then immediately turn it around with the fingers of the blind hand and put it back thru.  Then pull the thread tight from the outside.  Doesn't take long to train the blind hand and eye so the needle comes back out where you expected it to.  Another trick I have used it to put something hard like a thin piece of wood in the pocket and sew from the outside using a small curved needle.

:icon_thumright:

hookedspur

Now you have me thinking .  :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gamblinman

Modified my Limbhanger to hold a larger hydration pack. Looks like a new mod on its way.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

tomstopper

Great idea. Never can have to much protection in today's world...

MouthCaller

Nice! I would personally want it more concealed it looks like it might fall out although it probably is secure but to me it looks like its barely hanging on... It would be cool if you could sell that idea to somebody.

CASH

Quote from: MouthCaller on February 09, 2014, 02:37:45 PM
Nice! I would personally want it more concealed it looks like it might fall out although it probably is secure but to me it looks like its barely hanging on... It would be cool if you could sell that idea to somebody.

I messed around with the holster farther in the vest to conceal it more, but with it being a Tactical Tat'r, it was to tight against my body and felt like a giant lump against my midsection. I always carry concealed, but I'm not going to sweat it in the woods.

It's tight in the pic, but I don't have the retention straps attached yet. The holster isn't going anywhere, it's sewn in pretty heavy. I used heavy black nylon thread and doubled it.