turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vacation Time on Deer or Turkey???

Started by tomstopper, February 09, 2014, 07:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

OK here is the question: Would you rather save your vacation time to hunt Gobblers in the spring or deer in the fall? I have a guy at work that tells me I am crazy for wasting my vacation time (minus one week which I save for my wife & kids) on hunting birds rather than hunting deer. Are any of you guys like me or am I really an odd ball????

chatterbox

Turkeys. Deer aren't even a close second for my vacation time!

bigbird

Crazy!! They're sitting in a tree waiting for something to happen in the cold while your out making it happen while the temps are better and the scenery is much better! I'm with you, I've been laid off before during turkey season and during deer season (rut) and don't get me wrong I enjoyed both different times, but I'd rather go chase turkeys! You got my vote, you seem pretty normal to me! :goofball:

hookedspur

TURKEY every time .
A non turkey hunter will never understand this but if its in your blood you cant help it.

I MUST CHASE THE GOBBLE !!!

:turkey2:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Devastator

Both,Im fortunate to have the time off for 2 weeks in the rut and able to use vacation "hours" for turkey the whole month of turkey season or put in my eight hours when i get there.BIG THANKS to my bosses for working with me :happy0167:.But if I only had time enough for one or the other it would be for spring time with out a doubt!

CASH

I save a week for turkey season every year. The hard part is trying to decide which week of turkey season to take. Opening week or later in the season.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Woodsman4God

Deer for me. I can shoot several deer a year here in Michigan but only one turkey.

CntrlPA

You're not crazy! I usually take a bunch of time off for deer hunting but turkey hunting is easier to take off for. Instead of taking half days or whole days like I do for deer, I take 2 hrs at a clip for turkey. That way i can hunt at least 3 days a week before work. So, I actually take more hours off for archery hunting but i get to hunt more days of turkey.

WildSpur

This year I only have one week to play with.   It's gonna be what's left in may for me to chase gobblers.  I usually take a week in May and a week in November.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

eddie234

Your on a turkey forum! Lol ask the same question on a deer hunting forum and everyone is going to tell you deer hunting. Lol,

weave

Easy.... Sick time for one, vacation for the other

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

VA_Birdhunter

I don't deer hunt gave it up years ago so my time is saved for the birds.

1 week for Grouse...we go to the north woods every year...its an awesome time!!  I sometimes also add another week or a few days for grouse hunting at the end of the season...which I usely hunt at least one day a week during the season Lord Willing.

2 weeks for turkey with a possible 1 that is going to be added for another out of state hunt I'm working on.  I hunt VA then WV and I'm looking to add TN in the very near future with KY and SC to follow....with a big goal of FL in the next 4 yrs! 

The Lord has blessed me with a job that gives me a good amount of annual leave...which allows me to give my family there time and time for me to support my addictions!!

God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

guesswho

Quote from: tomstopper on February 09, 2014, 07:58:08 AM
I have a guy at work that tells me I am crazy for wasting my vacation time (minus one week which I save for my wife & kids) on hunting birds rather than hunting deer. Are any of you guys like me or am I really an odd ball????
The real odd ball is a man that tells another how to you his vacation. 

If he would rather sit in a tree in freezing weather to kill a smelly goat then more power to him.  Once less person in the turkey woods when your on vacation that way.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

redarrow

Deer season for me, when I was working.Although most years it was tough cause time off was based on seniority.Turkey season wasn't too hard to get though.I am blessed to have a wife that enjoys deer hunting so we got to vacation together as well as hunt.

CASH

Quote from: guesswho on February 09, 2014, 09:41:44 AM
Quote from: tomstopper on February 09, 2014, 07:58:08 AM
I have a guy at work that tells me I am crazy for wasting my vacation time (minus one week which I save for my wife & kids) on hunting birds rather than hunting deer. Are any of you guys like me or am I really an odd ball????
The real odd ball is a man that tells another how to you his vacation. 

If he would rather sit in a tree in freezing weather to kill a smelly goat then more power to him.  Once less person in the turkey woods when your on vacation that way.

This:z-winnersmiley:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.