OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Vacation Time on Deer or Turkey???

Started by tomstopper, February 09, 2014, 07:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejd

Unfortunately I dont get any vacation pay. No work no pay for me. I still take at least a week for each.

Turkey is my favorite though. I have told bosses before that if they ever tell me I cant take either of my weeks that there going to be looking for a new forman for my spot.

2eagles

Deer every time.  Unless its spring time.  I'm semi-retired and only work Mon,Tues and Wed.  I email the boss and ask him to keep me off the schedule when I want time off.  Last year during Nov and Dec I only worked Mon and Wed.  Always take off first turkey season.  Next year I might take all of November off.  Then I'll hunt deer and fall turkey and ducks and geese..... Of course, I'll have to get the OK from THE BOSS.  Not the one who signs the paycheck - the one I live with.

30_06

Vacation time for me goes towards elk. I can hunt both whitetail and turkey either before or after work so not much time gets used up.

tomstopper

Thanks guys. I will have to show him all of these responses. I didn't think I was alone on this subject... It's not crazy just an addiction that I don't want to even try and give up........ :turkey2:

RutnNStrutn

Turkeys, hands down!! Fortunately for me, being a firefighter :firefighter:, I not only have my annual leave, but we can also do shift trades. So getting time off is usually not a problem for me. With that said, I'm taking a month and a half off from work to chase turkeys this spring!! :funnyturkey:

renegade19

Well, having just recently retired, I don't have to make that decision any more.   ;D  But, when I did it would have been turkeys.

BowBendr

BowBendr

Thomas6689

El Pavo Grande

Turkey hunting

Fortunately, I have a pretty good set up at work with no set vacation time and can work a flexible schedule (Sales - As long as handle my business and numbers are good).  I typically hunt most mornings before work here at home, and if I feel it's going to be a slow morning then I'll start work earlier.  I'll take about 10 - 12 days off work for out of state trips.  I am very, very fortunate to have the this flexibility and put in extra time before and after season to make it possible. 

I deer hunt on weekends and a few mornings or evenings around work, but don't really take complete days off to deer hunt.  I would like to, but just feel like I want to save that time for turkey hunting. 

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Bigstruttin

I took off the first week of Tennessee season and and the first week of North Carolina season.

turkeyfoot

This is no contest for me I will spend 3 weeks hunting turkeys this spring and on week vacation hunting deer in fall I do spread my days out for long weekends

hobbes

I take vacation and comp time for both turkey and elk.  When I lived in the Midwest I took it for both deer and turkey.  When I worked a 12 hr swing I could take 40 hrs and have two weeks off.

I ddon'tworry too much about what some other knucklehead thinks about how I use my time or spend my money.  You should see the looks I get in MT for driving 1000+ miles to shoot turkeys.

jim67

Im lucky to get 4 weeks of vac a year so here is what I do. During deer season I will take say Mon and tues after opening, then maybe a Fri and Mon, so I get long weekends to hunt, during turkey season I may take a Mon, and Fri. My boss knows I wont be around much in November. I take a lot more days during deer season than turkey, but I plan to take at least 2 days for turkey this year.