OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Vacation Time on Deer or Turkey???

Started by tomstopper, February 09, 2014, 07:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old goat

I was just recently medically retired so this will by my first time having a whole season to my self and I will be doing it in South Georgia

PALongspur

jakesdad

Turkey for me,although I do take time off for both.Im lucky as im on salary not per hour at my job,so I usually slide in later in the mornings during turkey season and dont have to use time off as often.I do however always take off Mon,Tue,and Wed Thanksgiving week,which is still deer season here in MO.I get to hunt 9 days while only using 3 vacation days.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

TURKEYWHACKER

I always use some of my time off to chase turkeys. Usually do it as 4 day weekends about twice a season. Then the random 3 day weekend for good measure.

old goat

I was just recently put on medical retirement and I have never had a whole turkey hunting season to my self until this year. I will be keeping these South Georgia birds on their toes.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I use roughly 56 hours of vacation during the month of November to chase whitetails.

I use roughly 40-56 hours to hunt waterfowl when we have the birds and conditions are optimal for killing the hell out of them.

And I use probably 80 hours of leave to hunt out of state during turkey season. Instate im able to hunt 3-4 days a week before work.

Kinda hard to tell where my priorities lie.

Drthorn

turkey...a lot shorter season than I get with deer here in KY. plus I get a week of vacation in October for Fall break (I am a teacher). unfortunately, our spring break is always the week BEFORE turkey season opens!

turkey_slayer

Deer but that's only because I still got to run my side business (seasonal) and can only hunt till 12. So I hunt till 10-11 everyday then go to work. Take last week of October off and all of November but if not for my business I would take end of March to middle of May and hunt 5+ states

Mike Honcho

I am very fortunate enough to have a career that allows me to work (4) 10 hour days per work (most of the year).

I take most vacation days during November for archery deer because I hunt on my land that is four hours from where I live....not convenient to run back and forth.

I take our season opener day off for turkey and then I hunt the three day weekends I have locally....my best turkey hunting grounds are 5 minutes to 30 minutes from my house.

Our season is long for turkey so I get lots of time to turkey hunt.

I think you have to let your gut feelings guide you on what is most important to you!

slamman

I would substitute elk for deer, I live in and near most of the elk & turkey hunting in the state and I'm fortunate enough to be able to set my own hours with my work and can spend many hours in the woods without using vacation.  I spend my vacations Mearns quail hunting and with the wife.

sadkins

Deer for me

Elite Energy 35
Matthews Z7 Extreme
PSE X Force 7

beagler

I take one week for turkey (I can still sneak out for an hour before work every day) and two weeks for deer (1 archery, 1 rifle).
Never Misses

MouthCaller

I don't use any vacation time on either one but if I had to it would be turkey my problem is I only have one week a year if I had more I might take it during turkey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

DirtNap647

I find it hard to work during hunting season

budtripp

I take the majority of my days off for the rut. I can usually sneak a couple hrs to hunt turkeys everday during the season. Hard to do that with deer because when the big boys are cruising and chasing you want to be out there long as possible.  I can understand you guys in the south not caring too much about deer.  If I hunted down there instead I wouldn't care much about them either lol. But these big Midwestern bucks get I  your blood. Plus, even though turkey season is my favorite, it only last 3 weeks here. Deer is a year round thing from shed hunting in late winter to running camera and shooting your bow all summer to hunting the 4 month season. Hard for me to choose ome over the other If I ever had to.