OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Birds were on fire this morning!!!

Started by Pickle, March 12, 2011, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pickle

My Dad and I went on a little scouting trip this  morning here in west TN. Got to the woods right at daybreak and snuck to the edge of a pasture that has scattered trees on one side and usually has a few birds roosting in them. We sat down under a big oak and waited a few minutes and I blew my owl hoot one time and the pasture and adjoining woods exploded with gobbles! After that they gobbled nonstop till they flew down in the pasture. Four long beards, 7 jakes and around 20 hens. Once they were all on the ground only the long beards were gobbling. Had to sit for almost two hours before they all left the field. Had two of the gobblers at about thirty yards three different times. Just hope we have a repeat on opening day. I was nine kinds of fired up when we left the farm. COME ON OPENING DAY!!!!!!!!!! :z-guntootsmiley: :you_rock: :icon_thumright: :fud: :gobble:

redarrow

That got me all sweaty for sure. C'mon April 18th. Good luck to ya.

magicman

I wish it was like that here. Went for some scouting this morning myself and it was unusally silent.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: magicman on March 12, 2011, 11:49:40 AM
I wish it was like that here. Went for some scouting this morning myself and it was unusally silent.

I'm just across the line from you in Va and it was the same way.  It was cold this morning and mountains were snow covered.

jshively

In Northern Virginia the birds were hammering this morning.  Went to several spots to listen and all were just singing.  Glad to hear them - I hope they will still be vocal come  April 9th.

hookedspur

Quote from: magicman on March 12, 2011, 11:49:40 AM
same here, keep us posted  :anim_25:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

turkey slayer

They gobbled good this morning here in LA but I only could hear 1 bird

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Pickle on March 12, 2011, 11:44:39 AM
My Dad and I went on a little scouting trip this  morning here in west TN. Got to the woods right at daybreak and snuck to the edge of a pasture that has scattered trees on one side and usually has a few birds roosting in them. We sat down under a big oak and waited a few minutes and I blew my owl hoot one time and the pasture and adjoining woods exploded with gobbles! After that they gobbled nonstop till they flew down in the pasture. Four long beards, 7 jakes and around 20 hens. Once they were all on the ground only the long beards were gobbling. Had to sit for almost two hours before they all left the field. Had two of the gobblers at about thirty yards three different times. Just hope we have a repeat on opening day. I was nine kinds of fired up when we left the farm. COME ON OPENING DAY!!!!!!!!!! :z-guntootsmiley: :you_rock: :icon_thumright: :fud: :gobble:
What part of Tennessee are you in, Pickle??

Pickle

oldfart

Pickle
     Just curious as to exactly where you are in N TN as I am orig fm there.  I am orig fm Dyer in Gibson county.  I return to W TN  3 times a year to hunt altho I currently reside and have resided in Aurora, CO for 34years.  I plan to come to W TN about the 1st of April to turkey hunt and do some other business.  Also, 7 wks ago I had a complete knee replacement which has slowed me down but not stopped me.  I primarily hunt in Gibson and Weakley counties.
You may Email me also if you wish @    RaymondParkII@msn.com

T-town

Good for you. Our birds' wood must have been wet, cause on fire didn't happen where I was