OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

leafy camo or not

Started by DirtNap647, February 08, 2014, 10:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

which do you prefer leafy camo or not  for turkey hunting

WildTigerTrout

I wear a leafy camo jacket, sometimes I include the facemask and hat. I do not wear the pants or gloves.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

turkeykiller22

Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

Gooserbat

I go with regular pants and leafy jacket and leafy headgear.  Last season I got a Kill Suit from all predator calls and it's the bomb.  I usually only wear the top but it alone works great.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Jay

I have been wearing this stuff for years, and love it. Usually just the top, but when it is hot will wear top and bottom with base pants. I have tried shorts under, but not the tick protection I prefer. I have shot Turkeys sitting in the open with no cover in front of me. If you Don't move you are just a Bush to a Turkey.

VA_Birdhunter

I've actually looked at it alot!  But have always wondered how it works in thick cover and around briars?   Here in the Appalachian mountains I pass through thick cover alot and of course briars especially those nasty green briars.   How does it hold up in that junk?  Just curious!

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Gooserbat

I actually put mine on when I set up.  It takes all of 30 sec.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

owlhoot

really like it, more leaves the better on it.

chatterbox

I have never used it, but am considering buying some myself. One of my hunting buddies swears by it.

wild1

I personally think it makes a difference. I wear pants and jacket but the briars are pretty rough on it.

reynolds243

i prefer it for no other reason then it is light weight and i can wear shorts and a tshirt under it to stay cool.  I don't know how much it really makes a difference to a turkey but id say it would be a slight advantage at a minimum.

My opinion on leafy suits though are if you are going to get one then spend the money on a decent one. The $35 full suit ones usually don't last very long

kevin2

I got the lightweight camo/leafy mesh outfit from cabelas last season. Used it all the time to hunt in & hike in. Was great for keeping the mosquitos off as well as camo that breathes.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Gut Pile

Sitka ESW pants, and different jackets, here in Ohio Turkey Season starts off complelty barren like winter and you would want a real tree camo jacket as for mid to late deer season and you end the season with same pants but leafy jacket or anything that has brighter greens in it camo wise. It is a compressed season both weather and foliage wise.
about the best religion can possibly do, is maybe make you a nice person, where as a relationship with Jesus Christ can make you a new creation

30_06

I wear the ASAT 3d leafy top and bottom. It works well, and I like the fact I can wear whatever I want underneath it. Heavier clothes for cooler weather, or t shirts and shorts for hot weather.
The ends of the fabric get fuzzy after a couple of years of busting brush, but it seems to be holding up pretty well.....except to barb wire :)

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Dirt nap on February 08, 2014, 10:47:01 AM
which do you prefer leafy camo or not  for turkey hunting

I have one set that I have used spring and fall for at least 20 years. It came with the top, bottom, head net and mittens but I just wear the top and bottom and use another head net and gloves.

I don't believe that I've ever spooked a turkey as long as I do my part and sit still and in the shade when possible. I also believe that the natural movement of the leaves allows you to blend in when the wind is blowing things around you. I've had all kinds of birds and animals come unbelievably close to me when wearing this outfit.

As another poster said, "If you Don't move you are just a Bush to a Turkey." Of course, I'm always a Bush to a turkey.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."