turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to field dress a turkey?

Started by autoxr84, March 12, 2011, 09:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoxr84

I am new to the turkey hunting scene, so I am just curious if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how to properly field dress a turkey.  And what would be the best method for cooking it?  I have heard it cannot be prepared the same as a "Thanksgiving" turkey.  Is that true?  Thanks!!!

hobbes

Unless its awful hot outside and you can't get the bid home and pocessed in a reasonable amount of time, you don't need to "field dess". 

A wild tukey can be pepared anyway you like with extra precaution because of how dry it can be.  I don't care to pluck them, so I simply fillet the each side of the breast out.  Some guys will keep the legs and thighs for making soup or other meals.  I cut the breasts into chunks, soak in buttermilk half the day, and roll in seasoned flour before deep or pan frying in a half inch of oil.

If you want to bake the bird your in for a dry bird, but the best way I could think of would be to pluck the entire bird leaving the skin on and packing a bucket of seasoned butter under the skin or injecting the bird.  If I wanted the whole bird, I'd pluck, inject, and deep fry.  Just make sure you deep fry in the yard away from any structure.  (Just look up turkey deep fry fires).

hobbes

Good grief the "r" is now going out on this keyboad.

Dan Mallia

I usually dress mine once I get home.  I hunt primarily public and don't want folks knowing a turkey died anywhere near the areas I hunt  :TooFunny:

I cut mine up, usually cut all the breast meat out and the legs as well.  There are some KILLER recipes guys have posted up, I'd give one of them a try for sure.  I've done turkey nuggets, deep fried, bbq'd, etc.

I have baked a couple, just make sure you use one of those turkey bags to keep em somewhat moist.

redarrow

Quote from: hobbes on March 12, 2011, 10:50:02 AM
Good grief the "r" is now going out on this keyboad.
HUHHHHH. Had me cornfused for a bit til i seen dess. :TooFunny:

ericjames

Quote from: Dan Mallia on March 12, 2011, 11:01:39 AM
I usually dress mine once I get home.  I hunt primarily public and don't want folks knowing a turkey died anywhere near the areas I hunt  :TooFunny:

I cut mine up, usually cut all the breast meat out and the legs as well.  There are some KILLER recipes guys have posted up, I'd give one of them a try for sure.  I've done turkey nuggets, deep fried, bbq'd, etc.

I have baked a couple, just make sure you use one of those turkey bags to keep em somewhat moist.

And pick up most of the feathers lol

CASH

Stick your hand up it's butt, grab a handful and pull.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

PANYHunter

Quote from: CASH on March 12, 2011, 01:35:31 PM

This always works.  If you don't like getting messy check out the gutwrench.  It might work?  I usually fillet out the breast when i get home as well. If i am way back i will do it in the woods and carry back the meat back in a plastic bag.

OldMarine

Quote from: CASH on March 12, 2011, 01:35:31 PM

So That's how you do it !
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan