turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ventilator .655

Started by slave601, February 04, 2014, 09:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slave601

Jus got my ventilator .655 in for my new bottomland 870 supermag 26". Guess I'm gonna try some hevi 7s and maybe some 6s. Will this combo be too tight for mag blend?
"thinnin the flock"

R AJ

Most likely it will over choke the Mag Blends but you never know. That is a killer choke for the OLD WHITE 3" #6s and pretty good using the older Win Supreme XX #6 lead.

SKFOOTER

Take my advice and get you a Jellyhead .660 for that Supermag.  They were made for each other shooting the Hevi #7's.   :OGturkeyhead:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 04, 2014, 11:55:22 AM
Take my advice and get you a Jellyhead .660 for that Supermag.  They were made for each other shooting the Hevi #7's.   :OGturkeyhead:

That's what guys told me about the Jelly Head .665 and .660 chokes in my 870 3" and I sold both of them.  Nothing to write home about for sure.  That Ventilator .655 was one of the best shooting Hevi-13 #7 chokes I tried.  283 in a 10" at a taped 40yds is pretty dang good from that load. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's a link to the paper I had attached to the front of piece of cardboard that I cut the 10" pattern from above.  This turkey target is a 11" x 11".  That's a smokin!  And that was shot from the bead on the gun.  That's deadnut no matter how you slice it.   :toothy9:

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=698494&size=big&cat=&ppuser=23790

SKFOOTER

Evidently you had the "one in a million" Remingtons that didn't like the Jellyhead.  The majority of them paired with a Jellyhead .660 are a match made in heaven!!!  But that's why patterning your gun with differnt loads and chokes is so important because no 2 guns shoot the same.:OGturkeyhead:

Philippe

The new Hevi shells are having some major issues, I believe they have changed components again. Grab a box of the new Winchester Longbeards! You may be pleasantly surprised!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 04, 2014, 01:59:23 PM
Evidently you had the "one in a million" Remingtons that didn't like the Jellyhead.  The majority of them paired with a Jellyhead .660 are a match made in heaven!!!  But that's why patterning your gun with differnt loads and chokes is so important because no 2 guns shoot the same.:OGturkeyhead:

I agree.  And that's what others tell me as well.  This barrel is not the original 21" barrel that came with the 870 3" Express turkey gun I bought from Walmart back in 1993.  I traded that 21" barrel for a 28" barrel off of a newer model 870 Express from a guy in GA.  I'm glad I did.  This one simply shoots better than the 21" by quite a bit.  I'm guessing it came off of a 2005 model 870.  I polished the hell out of the barrel, too.  But it shoots good with most chokes like a .675 MAD Super Max - my go-to choke of choice, Ventilator .655, Indian Creek .668 BDS, and Pure Gold .670 which I still have.  I need to get another Ventilator .655 since I gave that choke to my buddy Mark, son Spencer. 

slave601

Just come across some boxes of last years hevi 6s. Will the ventilator be too tight for 6s?
"thinnin the flock"

Philippe

Quote from: slave601 on February 05, 2014, 09:20:39 PM
Just come across some boxes of last years hevi 6s. Will the ventilator be too tight for 6s?

Nope, blast away. My Ventilator likes 6's.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Great question.  I got the answer below. 

allaboutshooting

It's not about the e.d. it's more about how the choke was designed, the internal geometry. A .655 in one design may pattern as well as a .675 in another design or a .640 in another.

Shells are pretty much the same way. It's all about how the designer of the shell loads it. The primer, powder, wad, buffer, shot, crimp and the hull all make a difference. No one component makes a difference, it's the combination of the whole that determines how the shell will pattern.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."