OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester Longbeard XR's-Ported or Non-Ported Chokes???

Started by SKFOOTER, February 03, 2014, 02:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKFOOTER

For those of you who have patterned these new lead loads, are you finding that you get better patterns with a ported or non-ported choke??   I patterend the 3" #6 load this past weekend thru my Rem 1187 w/21" barrel and both a Kick's .650 and .655 choke and put 211 and 187 pellets in the 10" circle @ 40 yards respectively, but noticed upon retrieval of the wads that half of one of the wad petals was torn off of each wad.  Although I am very pleased with these pattern numbers, I have yet to pattern this load thru a non-ported choke so I'm curious as to who has and what your results were.  Thanks.   :OGturkeyhead:

SCDieselDawg

I ran a 3.5" load of the 4s through a .670 kicks in a Mossy. 935. Got a great pattern! I picked the wad up and it looked like like a brand new one. All of the petals were still on and showed very little deformation.

gatrkyhntr70

My son and I are have shot  them #5's and 6"s in 870sm's  w/ .665 jellyheads with excellent results.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

SKFOOTER

I spoke with a Winchester Ammunition rep today and he informed me that they did all of their pattern testing on these new loads with ported Indian Creek chokes.  And they noticed no deformation of the spent wads.  So, I'm curious if my combination of a short barrel and tight Kick's chokes contributed to the tearing of the wad petals in these Longbeard XR #6's??? :OGturkeyhead:

drum817

I'm gonna be shooting some 3" long beards from a 18.5" Weatherby pa-459 in about a week...I'll be using a SumToy .650 choke as well.  I will let you know.  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

SKFOOTER

Thanks Drum.  I assume it will be a non-ported Sumtoy choke??

drum817

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 03, 2014, 09:26:25 PM

Yes....I "may" have a ported choke laying around? .... would you like me to try a ported choke if I have one?

Philippe

Quote from: drum817 on February 03, 2014, 09:29:04 PM

Yes....I "may" have a ported choke laying around? .... would you like me to try a ported choke if I have one?

I think someone should talk William into adding a new ported model to his lineup :popcorn:

SKFOOTER

If you have a tight Kicks choke to use that would be great.  I'm just curious if my experience with the torn wad petals is an isolated incident with Kicks chokes.

drum817

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 03, 2014, 09:39:16 PM

If you have a tight Kicks choke to use that would be great.  I'm just curious if my experience with the torn wad petals is an isolated incident with Kicks chokes.

I'm sure I don't have a Kicks....I "MIGHT" have an old IC or a SSX ?  I've been exclusively shooting SumToy for three years now....Not sure what I still have.

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 03, 2014, 09:39:16 PM

I'll run a 3.5" #5 through my .655 Kicks in the morning if the weather and time allows.

Hooksnhorns

SCDieselDawg, let us know what that .655 does. What size shot are you shooting thru it? I shot 5s thru mine and they liked it.
Don't Tread On Me

SKFOOTER

If I'm not mistaken the wad in the 3.5" Longbeard load is red and the wad in the 3" load is clear/white, so it appears to be a different wad altogether..

SCDieselDawg

Here's a picture of two Wads from the 3.5" Longbeards in #5s
One choke was the .662 Hevi-choke the other was a.655 Kicks GT. Both wads showed some damage in the very edges of the petals, but with ported chokes I guess that's normal.

SumToy

Quote from: Philippe on February 03, 2014, 09:34:46 PM

I think someone should talk William into adding a new ported model to his lineup :popcorn:

Port Hole are for BOATS.  :icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA