turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you gobbler yelp ??

Started by BowBendr, February 03, 2014, 12:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BowBendr

It seems like no matter where you talk to fellow turkey hunters, nobody ever mentions the gobbler yelp as a call they keep in their arsenal.

It's used by serious fall bird hunters, but it's never mentioned in spring...kinda' like the kee kee.
You hear all the latest rage about "hale fires" and "haints", new gobbler tubes or shakers, but I believe you could be better served by using the gobbler yelp to let a tom know there was an intruder in his midst.....

It appears to me that it would serve the same purpose as a gobble without being so over-the-top dominant (you're still saying that you are a gobbler up in a bunch of hens), nor would other hunters key in on your location. It could also be safer to use as a call versus the gobble, especially on public land, because nobody knows what they're hearing when you yelp.

Do you know how to make the gobbler yelp, and do you use it in spring ?

appalachianstruttstopper

I use a gobbler yelp quit frequently during the spring especially late season, long side of a lynch's world champion box call has proven itself more than once mid May here in VA. I also use a tube call to do jake yelps, "calking", as we call it. Jakes do this alot when there is a strutting gobbler spitting and drumming.

WildTigerTrout

I use the gobbler yelp during the fall season. Not to much during the spring.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

J Hook Max

Yes , sometimes I do. What I don't do is gobble at them. Them may turn out to be another hunter , even on very private land.

timberjack86

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Hooksnhorns

Yup, I've called up gobblers during the spring using all types of gobbler sounds. I've called em up for folks by gobblin, gobbler yelpin, fightin purrin, and by drummin. I really like drummin at em. If they have hens and won't come to screw, they'll come to scrap most of the time. If they're inside 70-80 yds, drummin will kill em if they aren't in sight( which they shouldn't be unless your huntin a field).
Don't Tread On Me