OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth Calls?

Started by bornagain64, March 11, 2011, 09:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bornagain64

Are you guys able to make all types of turkey calls with one mouth call?
Yelp, cutt, cackle, gobble, cluck and purr?

Are do you find certain mouth calls do certain ones better? For instance 2 or 3 reed, certain type cuts on the tape, reed thickness.
  I have a couple of Hook's calls and each 1 does certain turkey calls better than the other. The Executioner makes most sounds pretty good, it is hard for me to do soft calling with it.

John           

younggun

Got everything but the gobble figured out. My favorite cut is a V-cut preferably 3 reed but I got a 4 reed v-cut this yr. and love it. This call seems to do everything from soft tree yelps to hard cuts. For what its worth it is a d-n-d call.

OLE RASPY

I can do everything except gobble on a mouth call.I can do everything thing on a 2 3 or 4 reed but can only kee kee on a 2 reed.

drum817

Between the Hooks Executioner and the Hooks Pro I can do all of those calls.  I like to gobble on the Executioner a bit better.  Certain calls do sound better for certain things....but I like to find calls that will do it all and those are the two that work best for me at the moment.   I strive to get better each year so the calls I use sometimes change as my calling improves.  The ONLY "specialized" call I run other than those two is a 2.5 reeded ghost cut used only for kee keeing.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

savduck

Depends on the style for me. I can do everything on cutters and batwings. have trouble with ghost cuts and straight reeds. I prefer 2.5 or 3 reed calls, but like 4 reeds too. Tape matters for me too. Soft tape seems to give me a higher pitch. I prefer a medium stiff tape.

Yelp and cutt on inverted v style calls.
Georgia Boy

dodger

Yelp, cutt, fly down cackle, gobble, cluck, kee kee and purr... its not that hard to make a good gobble on a mouthcall...

the Executioner by far is my favorite, I use this call to do all the calls listed above.  The Persuader comes in as a close 2nd, the purr sounds better to me on this call and the gobble sounds great, if done right

Muskie03

Quote from: OLE RASPY on March 11, 2011, 10:09:11 PM
but can only kee kee on a 2 reed.

Just turn the diaphragm slightly from left to right or vise versa in your mouth using only half of all the reeds.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

bornagain64

Thanks for the responses.
I think I am getting better and I have all the calls in my arsenal, except for the fly down cackle.
Some do sound better on different style calls.
I am also trying to do more quite calling and the executioner is to loud for me.
I will just have to practice some more.

John

jyoung

Quote from: bornagain64 on March 14, 2011, 02:10:54 PM
Thanks for the responses.
I think I am getting better and I have all the calls in my arsenal, except for the fly down cackle.
Some do sound better on different style calls.
I am also trying to do more quite calling and the executioner is to loud for me.
I will just have to practice some more.

John

John,  When I am on stage I will use different mouth calls for different vocalizations, but in the woods, the turkeys will not judge you as critically as human judges.  I use one call in the woods it's our White Lightning call.  I can produce all turkey talk on that one call. The only reason I do not use it on stage for all of my calling is because I stretch some calls differently to produce a little different sound and it's easier for me to achieve the sound.  Usually...the looser the stretch and the lighter the latex, the easier it is to run and you can get very quite on it because you do not have to use nearly as much air pressure.  But a call stretched that loose would not be a good call to crank down on. So, for hunting purposes, it is better to find a happy medium that you feel comfortable with doing every call on.  For me, it is a call that is medium stretched and not very heavy latex in a combo cut(our White Lightning).
Jonathan Young

shootumindaface

I cant gobble on a mouth call but all the others yes.. I usually find the call I yelp the best and than work on the other sounds with that call even if I sacrifice a little..

TRKYHTR

Some calls for sure make certain sounds better than others. Like others have said the turkeys aren't as judgemental as a contest judge. I have a call I make that I use and can do everything with it, yes even gobble. Good luck and keep practicing those soft calls. They will probably kill more turkeys for you than some of the others anyway.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

turkeyhunter60

What is the technique you use to make the gobble on a diaphragm....
BIG FRANK...

VAHUNTER

i have one call that is my go to call. i can do everything with it except gobble. and the gobble call is a last resort call for me any how. it is the Trifecta from Perfection
Good things come to those who wait

TRKYHTR

Quote from: turkeyhunter60 on March 15, 2011, 03:52:05 AM
What is the technique you use to make the gobble on a diaphragm....

Ticka ticka ticka ticka ticka ticka real fast.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

turkeyhunter60

:chucknorris:  Got it TRKYHTR...I will try that..Thanks...... :fud: :newmascot:
BIG FRANK...