OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Midwest Comp Calls

Started by Austy, January 31, 2014, 05:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austy

I haven't posted much lately but thought I would post some pictures of the calls that I sent to the Midwest Call Competition in Wisconsin for everyone to have a look at.  Congratulations to everyone!!!
The box call that I sent was a scaled down version of a Cost Style box call with the length of the hewn box portion of the call measuring in at just 5 1/2" long and 7 3/4" overall length with a 6 check chiseled pattern on the box and lid.  The box portion of the call is a hard piece of Cherry with a Black Walnut lid and base and Padauk inlays.  Not my best work as far as the sound on this box call but I was crunched for time as I only deceided at the last minute that I was going to enter this contest.

The Pot Call that I sent was a Purple Heart 3 1/2" Glass over Glass with a Purple Heart striker and a little wood burning on the call to add some eye appeal.

I sent 2 Tube Calls both of which are baffled and both of which have a Gaboon Ebony lip stop across the top of the tube.  The Marblewood tube has a 1" Reed opening while the Zebrawood tube has a 1 1/8" opening.

I sent 2 of my Yelper's, one was turned out of a piece of Lignum Vitae and the other turned from a piece of Olivewood both of which had a little different internal to them.  Both calls have an Elk Antler Ferrule with a black Delrin Mouth Piece, rubber lip stop and CA finish inside and out.

This last call was one that I entered into the Hunting Calls from Cane or Other Material.  "I think" that this call is a cross over between a Jordan Style Yelper (Looks and partial internals) and a Turpin Style yelper (Tapered Bell End interior).  This call is Jatoba with a Yellowheart bell end of the call and a Delrin mouth piece.  Twist & Push/Pull on the Yellowheart bell end sums it up.  The length of the sound chamber can be shortened or lengthened almost 2 Inches by the caller by twisting and either pushing or pulling to get the desired sound out of the call that you are looking for.  The middle section of the call has a few marks burned onto it as reference marks to where the call is set and is double O-Ringed to provide an air tight fit between the 2 sections of the call.  This call can also be done in a standard straight Jordan configuration but I opted to send the Taper interior bell portion with the call to the competition.  This call in my opinion has some great versatility..
Call fully closed is about 8" long

Call fully extended is right at about 10" long

The call taken apart:

Thanks for the look and again Congrats to everyone.

Austy

Jacobson

Nice job on the calls I will check them out tomorrow.  :drool:

pappy

They all look good to me.....I love the Jordan/Turpin.....especially the push/twist/pull...that is about as easy instructional on a call I have seen.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

JVA54

M,Yingling

That's a pile of good lookin calls ,,,Nice work
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Wingboneman

Sully53

:icon_thumright: Great job on those calls Austin!!!