Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mag blend/870sm-anyone getting a good pattern??

Started by troutfisher13111, January 30, 2014, 08:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfisher13111

I want to shoot the mag blends through my 870 supermag, but the pattern was so so at best with a Hevi-13 choke. Anyone getting good results with the mag blends through their 870sm? If so, what choke are you using? Thanks!

SCDieselDawg

Here's my best with the H-13 choke. I got nearly identical patterns from a .660 JellyHead! 

Philippe

The Mag Blends out of my 870 SM shot their best patterns with the Jelly Head .660.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

3" 870, 28" Barrel, .665 Indian Creek choke, 3" Mag Blend:
180 in 10" at 40 Yards, at 60 Degrees.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I shot the magblends and they sucked.  I got like 150 in a 10" with a Haymaker .670 choke. 

Xcal1ber

I was getting in the 190's with my Stoeger and Hevi Shot choke with the 3.5'' mag blends. Honestly I haven't seen many people put up huge numbers with Mag blends. Very Few. Although you don't need the numbers because they are such a hard hitting load.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

WildSpur

Ok.  Found my pic.  191 with the 3.5" magblends out of a .660 Jellyhead.   Not a record breaker--just a good hunting set-up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

gophert

My 870 SM with a 26" barrel shot 230 in a 10" with MagBlends and JellyHead .660.  The barrel was polished.  I would suggest polishing the barrel real good and you should see increased results. 

Hersh

I shoot mag blend 3.5 out of my super max gobbler  with a promos tightwad choke. Don't know what my numbers are but it shoots a heck of a pattern out past 40yds I love this set up. Ryan

troutfisher13111

Looks like it is hit and miss with the mag blends. I don't expect the same numbers I get with the Hevi-13 7's, but I would like to get over 200 at 40 yards with a good even pattern.

I love the 7's, but no one sells them around here, and it is now a PITA to have ammo shipped to NY. Any ammo has to be shipped to a FFL. However, everyone carries the mag blends. So, if I can get a good killing pattern with them, I will make the switch.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI love the 7's, but no one sells them around here,.....However, everyone carries the mag blends.

Yeah, I've seen the same thing.  Magnum Blend or 6's are much easier to find.

eddie234

Quote from: Terry on January 30, 2014, 08:12:49 PM
I want to shoot the mag blends through my 870 supermag, but the pattern was so so at best with a Hevi-13 choke. Anyone getting good results with the mag blends through their 870sm? If so, what choke are you using? Thanks!
Did you just buy them? They apparently changed the wad in their shells this year, everyone is complaining about their patterns this year using hevi shells.

troutfisher13111

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on February 01, 2014, 10:15:02 AM
QuoteI love the 7's, but no one sells them around here,.....However, everyone carries the mag blends.

Yeah, I've seen the same thing.  Magnum Blend or 6's are much easier to find.

I would be happy with 6's.

No the shells I shot were bought last year.

ILIKEHEVI-13

The guys that are getting some very good patterns from the magblend loads probably bought some of the loads that had more 7's than the other loads that guys have shot that performed not nearly as well.  I'd bet money on it. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

If it were me, I would just shoot Hevi-13 6's before I shot magblends.  But here's what I would do.  And so many people don't even stop to think about doing this.  I did it and it worked.  Tell the sporting good stores in your area that are selling the Hevi-13 loads to order some Hevi-13 #7's in either 3" or 3.5" whatever you are planning to shoot.  Tell them now so you will have time to purchase them before turkey season starts.