North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Shells and tubes

Started by FullChoke, January 29, 2014, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gophert

Quote from: surehuntsalot on January 30, 2014, 09:35:04 PM

By the way,that Hastings .566 should be a shooting son of a gun.
Let me know how it does for you.

That's what I was thinking.  I bought this thing off a guy at the end of last spring for like $20 and have not had a chance to shoot it. Seems like I remember someone shooting one of these on here a few years ago and it throwing some crazy good patterns with the Fed #7's since it's not ported.  I definitely will report back with the results. 

xarcher

This is my first year toting a twenty.  Will be loading my first batch of #9 TSS in an 1187.  Will start out with the Remington Super Full choke.  Or if any of my brothers and sisters can recommend a different choke, I am all ears.  Will post pattern pictures in the not too distant future. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

old frank

I am sticking with what has been working for me.

Fed HW #7 with the Remington SF Hevi,Steel.Lead Choke.

I killed my last turkey at 15 yards so I know the close pattern is OK too.

Eric Gregg

Quote from: old frank on February 01, 2014, 11:04:54 AM
I am sticking with what has been working for me.

Fed HW #7 with the Remington SF Hevi,Steel.Lead Choke.

I killed my last turkey at 15 yards so I know the close pattern is OK too.

That is a nice even pattern! I heard that the RSF chokes rated for lead pattern a little better than the ones rated for Hevi. Looks good

mightyjoeyoung

I'm running either my 870 with a .575 Carlson's  non-ported and Fed HW 7s or a .570 Jellyhead and hevi 6s or my TC Encore with a .570 TruGlo non-ported  and Fed HW 7s.  Both are bonafied 40 yard turkey smashers.  The bird in the pic was taken 2 years ago with the 870 and would have been the #26 bird in PA had I have had him officially scored. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

jakesdad

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

mightyjoeyoung

Thanks Tim.  He won me a few contests.  lol 

FullChoke

That is a gorilla!  :drool:

You can still find his sons or brothers, right?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: FullChoke on February 05, 2014, 05:20:49 PM
That is a gorilla!  :drool:

You can still find his sons or brothers, right?

Norman, this bird was shot on PRIVATE PROPERTY that runs about 1/2 mile deep by about 1 1/4 mile long about a mile south of the home I grew up in.  That same spring, my then future father in law and best friend Norm (too funny) took a bird that was at least 4 years old and had it not been for it being later in the season and he'd lost some weight strutting, likely would have been just as heavy and had OVER 1 1/2" spurs and a 10 1/2" beard.    :drool:  Yes!  We have some serious genetics up on that hill!   ;D  Last spring we saw one group of 10 + 2 year olds with 10" beards and hooks you can see without binoculars at 50 yards at least 15 big jakes, and there are-or until this hard winter, at least 6 other 4+ year old birds on that particualr farm.  We are very selective in what we go after and shoot but I love taking new hunters out and we let them shoot the first bird they want to drop the hammer on.

jakesdad

If you'd like I can make a trip out there and help you eradicate some of those problem critters :z-guntootsmiley:

Sounds like you got a very nice piece of property!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"