Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

new gobbler getter. what choke? jellyhead max?

Started by pinebark, January 28, 2014, 06:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinebark

New gun this season. 870 special purpose. Any recommendations for chokes?

Philippe

Wanna keep it cheap and simple, Jellyhead .660 or .665, or the SSX .643; You want custom, call William at SumToy.

owlhoot

Philippe

Give the Hevi 3-2-6's a whirl or maybe the mag blends. For lead, mine really likes the Federal Turkey Thugs.

pinebark

I bought a box of mag blends with the gun. Haven't shot them yet but I have been using nitros in the past. I know there are just as good of shells on the market these days so I'm looking to find a combo of shell/choke that equals the nitro but a little less expensive and a little more available to me.

CntrlPA

Do you want a nice pattern at 20-30yds or max pellets at 40yds?

pinebark

I'm trying to get a nice even pattern at thirty yards. I don't take many 40yard shots if I can help it.

owlhoot

The hevi shot tube works well with a supermag 26" and also the express turkey 21" barrel.
Both using the 3" mag blend. Not crazy tight at 40.

Old Gobbler

That's a nice little green leaf remington - 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

drum817

Quote from: pinebark on January 28, 2014, 07:56:54 PM
I'm trying to get a nice even pattern at thirty yards. I don't take many 40yard shots if I can help it.

For the price of a new jellyhead you can spend just a few more dollars and get a custom built SumToy choke.  I'd suggest giving William a call at SumToy customs...you won't regret it!  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Bama turkey hunter

I would stay away from the jellyhead and get something better
Tony

Xcal1ber

If you want a good 30 yard pattern, save your money on the Hevi Shot and Nitro. You can find a shell cheaper than those two that will throw a good 30 yard pattern.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

drum817

Quote from: Xcal1ber on January 29, 2014, 11:07:15 AM
If you want a good 30 yard pattern, save your money on the Hevi Shot and Nitro. You can find a shell cheaper than those two that will throw a good 30 yard pattern.

TRUE, it looks like the new Winchester Longbeard load would be a GREAT choice for you!!!  Check out the "patterning" boards here on the forum and you will see.  Best of luck to ya!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

ILIKEHEVI-13

Tim,

It's great to have you back here posting. 

Brad

jblackburn

I have an Indian Creek in my 870 and love it.  I shoot 3" hevi 6s
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.