OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opening day/early season Spring decoy set up help needed...

Started by kevin2, January 28, 2014, 05:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

What would be your decoy set up of choice for an April 21st opener/early season? I'll likely be hunting with my bow from a blind to start out the season. I'll be on the edge of a cut and turned corn field. The Turkeys are already there in mass numbers as of last week.

I'm not sure if I should set out just a lone hen, a hen and the jake, or the hole 9 yards??!!

I've got these decoys to use.

1 DSD Jake
1 DSD Upright Hen
2 Inflatable Submissive Sally Hen
1 Flextone Funky Chicken Turkey Decoy (skinny looken jake!)
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

owlhoot

jake , the dsd

And don't put that funky chicken thing out with it. :TooFunny:

Even if it does work, don't admit it. :lol:

kevin2

It got demoted last year, as I called in zero birds the 2 days it sat out front! Might sell him!

Quote from: owlhoot on January 28, 2014, 08:21:14 PM
jake , the dsd

And don't put that funky chicken thing out with it. :TooFunny:

Even if it does work, don't admit it. :lol:

bigbird

What's your farm or farms like? Fields or timber? I find strut zones, where they go first thing in the morning (usually for my son in youth season) I'll use my jake decoy and a hen. The posture of that jake is better than a strutter decoy in my opinion. When it's just me I farm hop a lot, if it ain't happening I go to where it is. Sometimes you can't get decoys out in some of the situations I get in. Hang in there man I wish ya lots of luck, don't get impatient and remember it's not always the kill it's the experience that makes a good hunt!

kevin2

We've got good chunks of timber, say 30%, and then beans OR corn usually. Most of the wooded areas are in the center, which has open fields surrounding it & then edged out by mostly homes OR thin woods on the edge of the roads. The location I'm seeing them the most now is a 2 mile X 2 mile square with a river running just about straight threw the middle. The river has a couple big hard wood areas, and that is both open & very dense in spots. Cut corn that was turned before first snowfall in december.

Quote from: bigbird on January 31, 2014, 10:02:54 PM
What's your farm or farms like? Fields or timber? I find strut zones, where they go first thing in the morning (usually for my son in youth season) I'll use my jake decoy and a hen. The posture of that jake is better than a strutter decoy in my opinion. When it's just me I farm hop a lot, if it ain't happening I go to where it is. Sometimes you can't get decoys out in some of the situations I get in. Hang in there man I wish ya lots of luck, don't get impatient and remember it's not always the kill it's the experience that makes a good hunt!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

It sounds like you're way too narrow in your approach to hunting.

Ain't no way I could tell you anything about my opening day set up until the nite before opening day.

Blinds and decoys have ruined the art of actual turkey hunting.

kevin2

In my original question, I was thinking that there is a tendency for early season decoy use. Seems like other threads would suggest going with fewer decoys OR just one. As for blinds, I gladly go without a blind, but I plan on bow hunting & it would be pretty hard to draw back on a bird in the wide open. So, do you have any thoughts on decoy layouts for early season, in general?

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 01, 2014, 08:23:42 AM

Ain't no way I could tell you anything about my opening day set up until the nite before opening day.

Chuck1443

Jake above the submissive hen at your most comfortable yardage  in front of the blind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drthorn

here is what I would do

dsd jake, upright hen, and a submissive hen.

Bow hunting, i'd put the decoys about 15 steps from the blind...

If you know the area is a strut zone, than you should be pretty good. some light calling here and there and the turkeys should show up.

good luck

Cove

:z-winnersmiley:

Gobble!

Take the DSDs send the rest back to China. Put the upright hen on the ground in the breeding position and the jack 5 feet behind her and get ready. Early season I normally replace the jack with the DSD Strutter. But I don't always do this. As mentioned decoys can very easily ruin a hunt so becareful and know they do not fit all situations.

captpete

Quote from: Cove on February 01, 2014, 06:18:45 PM

:z-winnersmiley:

Real nice!!!  >:(  >:( A guys asks for suggestions and you come along bashing his way of hunting.  ??? ???

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: kevin2 on January 31, 2014, 11:48:56 PMMost of the wooded areas are in the center, which has open fields surrounding it
Kevin, first of all, don't mind the guys that get down on you for using dekes.
With that said, early season is an excellent time for using decoys!! It sounds like the farm you hunt is an ideal set up! I'm no expert, but if I were you, I would spend some mornings before the season locating favored roost sites, and then trying to pattern your farm's flocks movements.
Then on the afternoon before the opener, I would roost some gobblers. The next morning, get there very early, and set up near the roosted birds. Put out your DSD jake with one of the Submissive Sally's under him, on the ground like he is ready to breed her. Then put the DSD upright hen off to the side. Leave the other submissive Sally and the funky chicken at home!! :lol: ;D If you can call a gobbler into visual range of your setup, or they see it from the roost when it gets light, there's a good chance for him to charge in to whip some jake butt!!
Good luck this spring! :icon_thumright:

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Gobble! on February 02, 2014, 11:53:32 AMEarly season I normally replace the jack with the DSD Strutter. But I don't always do this. As mentioned decoys can very easily ruin a hunt so becareful and know they do not fit all situations.
:agreed: x2  :icon_thumright: