OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Average distance turkeys shot at

Started by jakesdad, January 28, 2014, 02:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whats your average kill shot distance?

0-15
0 (0%)
15-20
20 (21.5%)
20-25
22 (23.7%)
25-30
35 (37.6%)
30+
16 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 93

hookedspur

I find it awful hard to watch them after they close to under 40, so when he stops after that Im shooting.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gooserbat

Quote from: M Sharpe on January 28, 2014, 04:38:32 PM
I'm not messing around with him! I've killed them alot closer than 30 yds and farther than 30. But if he gets too close to me(under 10 yds), the heck with trying to tear his head off, he's getting the body shot!! They don't run or fly with a fist size hole in them!!

X2!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

cphill

I would say 15-20 myself but have shot one at 5 or 6 yards once I thought he had turn down the hill and next thing I know he come out from behind the tree in front of me so he went home headless...lol...longest shot 49 yards with a 12 ga and 44 with a 20

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Ruger M77

my average is probably around 35yds I take the first good shot I get. I do them same thing with deer first good shot I get there's gonna be meat on the ground!
I eat therefore I hunt

chatterbox

25-30 yards is where my shots have been on my birds. Like most, once he breaks 40, I take the first clear shot.
I don't care for them under 20 yards.

owlhoot

Had been 30+ yards with the field and pasture turkeys , yotes are thick there. But  since switching to decoys and blinds with the young fellas 15-25 is the kill shot now. When in the timber 20 yards average.

beagler

Never Misses

WildTigerTrout

On average about 25 to 30 yards. I have killed some closer and some farther but that's average.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Rio Fan

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on January 28, 2014, 10:21:07 PM
On average about 25 to 30 yards. I have killed some closer and some farther but that's average.

That's about exactly what I was going to say.

hs strut

20-25 where i like to have them like most everybody ive killed them closer and farther killrd one year before last that was close enough i might near could see him blink. he came in from behind me
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

J Hook Max

Most of my shots are in the 30 yd. range. I very seldom shoot at turkey beyond 40 yards even though my shotgun can easily kill them out to 60 yards.
I also try and not let turkeys get too close. Too many things can go wrong when they in too close. When a gobbler gives you a clear shot inside 40 yards , take it. That would be my advice.

troutfisher13111

I would say my average is right around 25 yards

R AJ

Had you asked average miss distance it would have been easier to answer and that would be 0-15 for me, and on multiple occasions. Some may ask how that can happen but in thick woods and narrow trails I can make it happen. So, my answer to your question is 25-30 and I like closer to 25 than 30. Anything can happen when they get too close including the time a cardinal landed briefly on my cap bill  and another time a bird of some description landed on my gun barrel. As stated above, when in range and your ready , make it happen.

renegade19

Quote from: Ruger M77 on January 28, 2014, 06:33:07 PM
my average is probably around 35yds I take the first good shot I get. I do them same thing with deer first good shot I get there's gonna be meat on the ground!

Me too

redarrow

I voted 25-30 but I'm not really sure.Before i switched to the 20 I never thought about it.My first with the 20 was 20 yards. Last years bird was 40 yards.The only other one I remember was my first gobbler that I took at 63 paces with a 12 ga.I had no idea how far he was and have no doubt it was luck.