OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Average distance turkeys shot at

Started by jakesdad, January 28, 2014, 02:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whats your average kill shot distance?

0-15
0 (0%)
15-20
20 (21.5%)
20-25
22 (23.7%)
25-30
35 (37.6%)
30+
16 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 93

jakesdad

I know we all like to pattern our guns to 40 yds to see what they do,and we all have ideal distances we want birds to be at when we pull the trigger.But in REALITYwhat distance/ range have you killed most of your birds in(on average)I put myself in the 15-20 range.Have had a few over 30 and a few close enough to count nose hairs,but on average thats about where I am.

**This post/poll was created for no other reason than pure curiousity**

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Swamprunner

I responded 30+.  When he breaks the 40 yard barrier, I take the first good shot I get.  Y'all are welcome to sport f*** em if you'd like, but I go ahead and punch their ticket.

guesswho

I'd guess I right around a 30 yard average.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Deputy 14

I like them at around 30. Less chance of missing when you're shooting patterns like golf balls but my shots are usually 15 to 20 yards due to the jungle I live in.

njdevilsb

I put myself in the 15-20 range.  As other have said, I've shot some closer and some farther.  I like them right about 20 yards.

drum817

15-20 on average for me...but I still absolutely pattern at 40 yards, cause you just never know how it's gonna go down.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

ncturkey

My avg. range is 20-25 yards. I try to shoot all turkeys within 40 yards. But I have misjudged range a time or two. My longest was 49 yards in a field. My shortest shot was 2 yards. 

Rokhal07

I think on avg id be in the 25-30yd range. Looking back at my notes over then last few years only had one at 40 and one at 35ish. Two birds 15 and the rest were 20-30

turkey harvester

I normally like the 15-20 yard range. Normally I wait until I can see their eyes before I pull the trigger if I can stand too.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Bama turkey hunter

Average for me is about 40 to 45 yards
Tony

Gooserbat

I've killed them from 6 yards out to...well lets just say it's the 40 yard fudge factor.  Anyway When they hit 40 I start looking for the chance to punch my tag. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

I've killed 80% of my gobblers between 15-20 yards. That's because I hunt in the SE with decoys most of the time, and that's how far I set my dekes at. My closest was 8 yards, and longest was 54 yards.

30_06

I'm just guessing here, but going to say I'm in the 15-20 range. Quite a few shorter than that with a bow, but quite a few longer than that with a gun too.

Hooks' n' Beards'

i like em' about 20-35 yards..i missed one at 7-8 yards about 8 years ago,he seen me and started to boogey...he looked like the road runner after i fired my 3rd shot...Ben Johnson in Seoul...

M Sharpe

I'm not messing around with him! I've killed them alot closer than 30 yds and farther than 30. But if he gets too close to me(under 10 yds), the heck with trying to tear his head off, he's getting the body shot!! They don't run or fly with a fist size hole in them!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!