OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone else quit using a turkey vest?

Started by reflexl, January 27, 2014, 06:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

Quote from: Moore on January 27, 2014, 08:05:16 PM
I got rid of mine and got special hunting satchel made gots more pockets then I really need. I just never like wearing a vest

Never felt comfortable wearing a vest either, especially once the heat and humidity jump later in the season.  If I'm hiking anywhere, its a fanny pack with shoulder straps.  If I'm trolling logging roads and gas well roads on the mountain bike, then its just a trumpet call, long box and short box in a belt holster, a scratch box in the shirt pocket and a mouth call.  Water bottle rides on the mountain bike, and padded seat goes around my waist or on the rear rack.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

TURKEYWHACKER

When they pry it from my cold, dead fingers. :z-twocents:

RutnNStrutn

Va-Birdhunter, they are awesome if you add a couple of extra pouches to carry all your stuff. I still carry a backpack for my dekes, but it beats the heck out of having a hot, stuffed vest. I love my belt!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

catman529

I have not used one yet, only been turkey hunting 3 years, don't feel the need for a vest yet. I carry a tube, wingbone call as my main calls, and one mouth call and occasionally a slate for backup. Cargo pockets are key. Don't forget room for the TP.

CASH

Tried to, but sometimes I cover so much ground and am away from the truck that I have to carry plenty of water and snacks. Especially in the heat of late season.

The rear pocket on my Tactical Tat'r is perfect for that.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

jakesdad

Nope.Ive got a old 10x brand strap style I bought at wally world probably ten years ago.Got all my stuff packed in it by opening day and it usually stays in the truck-ready to go.As much as I tend to forget some things,its nice to be able to just grab and go with the vest.Ive got a Primos vest but dont care much for it,it does seem kinda constricting and hot at times.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Assault

All I use is a back pack! Can carry more but not as hot during the spring

Dan Mallia

Don't use a vest anymore although I'm thinking about going back to one! I hike into a lot of spots with a blind and have been putting a small pack in with the blind.

R AJ

I have been using one for a few years now and can honestly say that I haven't killed any more birds by doing so but mostly I call for others so that could cause lower numbers. They are handy but you sure don't have to carry around a call for every pocket . In my hey day it was a box call and a mouth call only and they both fit in a pair of camouflaged coveralls or they didn't go. Back then I carried a dove stool loaded with netting, toilet paper, extra gloves/mask/,etc. The legs were filled with styrofoam.

In fact my right knee may force me to start "stooling" again . No more run and do anything . So, I am not anti vest but never found one that perfectly suited me but pretty close.

Bama turkey hunter

Not me . ol tom and me are best friends . :happy0167:
Tony

Yoder409

I pretty much ditched the vest years ago.

I use a small fanny pack to carry a boxcall, a slate, 2 strikers, a scuff pad, a pen, a zip tie and my license.

I strap a padded seat from one of my hang-on treestands around the pack belt and I'm good to go.

Only time I use the vest anymore is if I think I may have to carry a bird out a LOOOOONG way.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

kevin2

I just ordered a Ol' Tom Dura-Lite Vestless Mesh-Back Camo Shirt, at an attempt to see how hunting without a vest might be like. I got into Turkey hunting last year & got myself and both my kids outfitted with everything, including 3 nice vests. I'm a equipment junkie, so nothing more fun then getting new equipment to try out in the field. This shirt is just another thing to enjoy and use outside.

We'll see, might be that I have my brand new Super Elite 3 Vest up for sale before I get to use it!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

CT Spur Collector

I'd like to, just can't seem to shake it. I never did, always had a fanny pack, then I bought a rather large heavy vest from Cabela's. Too big, bulky and hot. I since went to a small lite vest from Primos, o.k. but I might go back to the fanny the older I get...hahahaha.

Arra

I haven't used one the last two years. A couple of mouth calls in my pocket and two trumpets around my neck and I'm good to go.

budtripp

I haven't yet but thinking about trying the ol tom vestless shirt. I usually only carry 2 pot calls and 3 or 4 diagrams anyway. The only concern I have is what to use for a seat. Don't want to carry a chair or lounger so I was thinking maybe a thick treestand cushion.