turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone else quit using a turkey vest?

Started by reflexl, January 27, 2014, 06:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

I have just about completely quit using the vest in favor of a small pack. I use one call bag on my belt and a small pack for misc. I have set up brushed ground blinds with tank netting and tree lims all over nearly 900 acres with most positioned in spots I already know to be good. The vest just doen't seem as needed as it once was. reflexl

BowBendr

I'm going to try leaving the vest behind this year. I'm going to carry a small waist pack with a pot call, a scratcher and a few diaphragms. I'll carry my facemask and gloves there too. Going to try a gobbler lounger this year........

30_06

Can't do it completely. Either use the vest or a backpack.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

worth612000

I like mine to much to leave behind, all my stuff is always in there ready to go. A nice seat attach if I need and a nice compartment to hind my turkey from sight in case of a lunatic hunter that doesn't see humans.

guesswho

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 27, 2014, 06:51:36 PM
I don't see it happening.
Same here.  If I just hunted for an hour or two each morning like a lot folks, I'd never wear a vest.  But with the amount of time I invest in a days hunt I always wear one.   Just the water and food I carry justifies ones use.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Gobblerjim

Yep doing the switch myself. Waist pack with 2 pot calls, mouth calls. Gobbler lounger. Vest gets to hot down here in south Florida.

slamman

I started using my day pack for a couple of years but will go back to my vest this year.  The advantage of my vest was all I used it for is turkey hunting and I always knew where everything was.  I use my day pack for elk, deer, sheep and other big game animals and I was constantly switching calls around never getting use to which call was in which pocket. 

RutnNStrutn

I mainly turkey hunt down here in Dixie, so a lot of times during our seasons, vests are just too darned hot! I have a Primos Gobbler Vest, but don't wear it that often. Most of the time I wear my Beard Buster Belt.

I added a couple of extra pouches on it to carry all the stuff that I don't use most of the time. :lol:  It is comfortable, doesn't heat me up or restrict my movement. About the only thing it doesn't do is carry my decoys.
It's a bit pricey these days, but back when I got mine it was a bargain!

beagler

I just use two fanny packs to carry all my gear.
Never Misses

Skeeterbait

Not gonna happen, my old vest is a close friend.

jim67

I hunt on small property and every bird I killed has been out of a ground blind, but I do use my vest to prowl around a bit, but the seat stinks, very little padding. I like a vest just to keep everything in place, but take it off while in the blind.

Gut Pile

I prefer to use a small day pack, I have the badlands tree pack and it fits the purpose very nicely. I doubt I ever use the turkey vest again. :fud:
about the best religion can possibly do, is maybe make you a nice person, where as a relationship with Jesus Christ can make you a new creation

Moore

I got rid of mine and got special hunting satchel made gots more pockets then I really need. I just never like wearing a vest
[

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on January 27, 2014, 07:13:09 PM
I mainly turkey hunt down here in Dixie, so a lot of times during our seasons, vests are just too darned hot! I have a Primos Gobbler Vest, but don't wear it that often. Most of the time I wear my Beard Buster Belt.

I added a couple of extra pouches on it to carry all the stuff that I don't use most of the time. :lol:  It is comfortable, doesn't heat me up or restrict my movement. About the only thing it doesn't do is carry my decoys.
It's a bit pricey these days, but back when I got mine it was a bargain!

I still love my elite vest but I would like to try one of these that RutnNStrutn uses.

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens