OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What are using for a decoy bag?

Started by Gamblinman, January 26, 2014, 03:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamblinman

With 3 DSD decoys for 2014, what do y'all use for a decoy bag?

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

turkeygod4

With 3 DSD's, you might have to use a duck decoy bag. LOL!

kevin2

I used to use mesh decoy shoulder bags for my duck layouts. They'd fit all your Turkey decoys no problem. Made it easy to carry when I had my gun & chair in tote as well.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=GHG-Hot-Buy-Decoy-Bag&i=426858&r=view
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Gamblinman

K2..I got plenty of those bags, I was just afraid of sounding like the junkman going into the woods at dark thirty. Guess I'll try keeping them in their original bags, then putting them into a duck decoy bag.

Lets see...shotgun, vest, blind, chair, and 3 decoys. Where to put the coffee pot and donuts.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Old Gobbler

DSD , as of last year has been sending all decoys with a improved lightweight camo bag with a built in carry strap --- it's nice
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

MKMGOBL

I plan on using a shopping cart and not the ones from Target or Lowe's :TooFunny:

Quote from: Old Gobbler on January 26, 2014, 09:29:04 PM
DSD , as of last year has been sending all decoys with a improved lightweight camo bag with a built in carry strap --- it's nice

X2 :icon_thumright:
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

Hoosier2

I picked up a hardcore decoy bag just like the gander mtn bag. I've got two dsd decoys and a killer b and they all fit with plenty of room. They don't slosh around and make a big amount of noise and very comfortable. Bought it for 16 bucks

kevin2

I didn't have any excessive noise issues. I do think the original bags will do.

Quote from: Gamblinman on January 26, 2014, 04:30:49 PM
K2..I got plenty of those bags, I was just afraid of sounding like the junkman going into the woods at dark thirty. Guess I'll try keeping them in their original bags, then putting them into a duck decoy bag.

Lets see...shotgun, vest, blind, chair, and 3 decoys. Where to put the coffee pot and donuts.

Gman

wernerjd

By the time I pack in 3 DSD, blind, bow, and huntmore chair I'm pretty much spent. Thought of trying the deer cart if it's damp. If it's dry I just pack it all in in the shoulders. It also depends if I'm hunting timber or fields.

HartClemson99

Quote from: wernerjd on January 26, 2014, 11:23:03 PM
By the time I pack in 3 DSD, blind, bow, and huntmore chair I'm pretty much spent. Thought of trying the deer cart if it's damp. If it's dry I just pack it all in in the shoulders. It also depends if I'm hunting timber or fields.

I plan on doing the same thing this spring when blind hunting!  Last year I had to walk 3/4 of a mile with 3 DSDs, a blind, a chair, a bow and a shotgun.  I killed a 21lb longbeard and had to make 2 trips.  The deer cart will be used this spring!
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

wernerjd

Quote from: HartClemson99 on January 26, 2014, 11:31:43 PM

Quote from: wernerjd on January 26, 2014, 11:23:03 PM

I plan on doing the same thing this spring when blind hunting!  Last year I had to walk 3/4 of a mile with 3 DSDs, a blind, a chair, a bow and a shotgun.  I killed a 21lb longbeard and had to make 2 trips.  The deer cart will be used this spring!

I ended up calling a friend to come help after I shoot my bird. It's also was about 3/4 of a mile in with about 3 inches of rain the day before. I had forgot my release in my truck and made an extra trip already.

headshot870

I too bring in a blind, a huntmore 360, bow, calls & 4 DSD"s. The decoys are stored in their individual bags & then put in a Primos duck decoy bag. I bungie it all on to my game cart...makes it pretty easy, but have to go pretty slow to keep the noise down. I'm looking at maybe installing some delrin bushings in my cart due to excessive play in the axle.

ctwny1

fallhnt

I sewed my own. I use 3 in the fall. It works better and hens almost always go to the feeder decoy and try to beat it up. Here is what I found. You need to carry your 3 pack with the hens in the virtical position. If you try to carry them in the horizontal position it will be to cumbersome.Get a couple yards of material and lay the decoys on it to get an idea of where to sew for a devider.Let me know if you want to see some pics or need help.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

kevin2

Worked in a bean field, but corn was a no go. Dolly worked good for me, as it can be pulled or pushed in bad and uneven terrain.
Quote from: ctwny1 on January 28, 2014, 06:22:06 AM
How about a wheelbarrow?