OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pot call for beginner

Started by turkeynewb, January 26, 2014, 01:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeynewb

Looking for suggestions on pit calls that may be easy to use for 3rd yr hunter.

kevin2

I bought a couple customs, and I ended up loving the one I got from Pappy, it was my third pot. Papppy talked to me on the phone for a couple hours & really helped me figure out what I needed/wanted. Great fella. Look him up, bet he still has time to help out. Head down to the Turkey Call Classifieds & you'll find all sorts of calls for sale. You'll see Pappy down there as well, I'm sure. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/board,16.0.html

Head to the Turkey call section & post some threads OR just do some reading & I'm sure you'll find all the information you need. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/board,12.0.html
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

scoot12

slate or ceramic would be a good choice.  Scoot

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: scoot12 on January 26, 2014, 11:52:05 AM
slate or ceramic would be a good choice.  Scoot

I agree is especially on the slate...which I believe is the easiest to run and learn to use right.

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Skeeterbait

For a true beginner I would recommend a Cody, Woodhaven, or David Halloran slate and a flare tip purpleheart striker.  Those with purpleheart are the easiest I have seen to run.

30_06

I have an AJ slate and a Cody slate that are both pretty easy to run and sound good.

gwa

Mike Yingling makes a nice call as well. He is on this site too.

Denny

R.W. Mackey

Get a Slate, easiest to learn and sound great. Most all of them are good although some are better than others. But it's no use having a good call if you don't know how to run it. My best advice for a beginner is get a good DVD on using pot calls, then get a good CD of live Turkeys. Watch and listen to them over and over until you can reproduce the sounds they make. The most important aspect of Turkey calling is the rhythm, Turkeys have many different sounding voices but they all have the same rhythm. Learn that
And you'll be successful with anybody's call.
Good luck to you, it takes lots of practice, but the results are worth it.

Roy
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

captpete

Quote from: R.W. Mackey on January 26, 2014, 03:55:09 PM

Get a Slate, easiest to learn and sound great. Most all of them are good although some are better than others. But it's no use having a good call if you don't know how to run it. My best advice for a beginner is get a good DVD on using pot calls, then get a good CD of live Turkeys. Watch and listen to them over and over until you can reproduce the sounds they make. The most important aspect of Turkey calling is the rhythm, Turkeys have many different sounding voices but they all have the same rhythm. Learn that
And you'll be successful with anybody's call.
Good luck to you, it takes lots of practice, but the results are worth it.

Roy

:z-winnersmiley:

sbbow

R.W. Mackey

I don't like to advertise for anyone, but get the Midwest Turkey Call Supply catalogue, they are a sponsor on here. There are several DVD's in there to choose from. I will put a vote in for the Real
Turkey CD'd, nothing better than listening to the real thing.
  CaptnPete, thanks for the vote of confidence, looks like you've been in the Turkey woods awhile too.

Roy
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

lonnie sneed jr.

My Dad (Lonnie Sneed Sr.) makes a very good slate and glass, that's very easy to run. Good for a beginner or a old timer, with a good price.  If you want to call him his # is (304)-425-3021

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

dreis3

Quote from: lonnie sneed jr. on January 27, 2014, 08:44:18 AM
My Dad (Lonnie Sneed Sr.) makes a very good slate and glass, that's very easy to run. Good for a beginner or a old timer, with a good price.  If you want to call him his # is (304)-425-3021

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

:z-winnersmiley:  Still the best deal in turkey hunting, no doubt
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

R AJ

One of the best pot calls that  I have ever heard is made in Greenville, Al by Larry Fail.R&K Wood Products.
The calls are made of slate, acrylic, or aluminum and he has a very unique striker  tip for foul weather.
I believe that they are around $45. He can be contacted at 334-382-8982.

He also makes box calls. He teaches guitar and is very attuned to tonal and resonance effects of wood, material and striker heft on a particular call. He sells no junk period.

Gooserbat

I always point beginners toward my slate. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.