OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Record Cold ?

Started by FL-Boss, January 23, 2014, 12:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL-Boss

I have been living in North Fla for 40 years.  Been a while since I remember a January this cold. We have had freezing temps most nights this month.  Somedays the high hasn't made it to 50.   
I know you guys up north laugh at this.  But for Florida standards, it seems this has been a cold Jan.

My understanding is most of the mid west and NE has also been real cold...  a lot negative temps ?

Is it just me or has it been unusually cold so far this year?

Gooserbat

Blame the cold on global warming. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

FL-Boss

I blame it on Al Gore.   

darn2ten

Global warming, just ask Al Gore!  ::) I live in Tn. now, but grew up in Fl. Under freezing, into the 20's in Fl. is COLD! Just a different kind of cold I guess because of the humidity further south, Freezing there feels about like the upper teens here. Now we did go to -2 about a week back and that was no doubt cold. High today in upper teens and low tonight somewhere around 5.

darn2ten

Oops! See y'all already mentioned 'Ol Al  ;D

boomer

Its been pretty cold here. First winter I had my truck gelled up on they way to work. With the windchill it was like -40 that morning. It felt nice this morning too about -30. I know I cant wait for spring to get here.

ctwny1

You THINK it's cold in Florida? Come here to Western NY that we call The TUNDRA and see what cold is.
The State of NY should be PAYING US to live here!

Gooserbat

Quote from: ctwny1 on January 23, 2014, 02:43:21 PM
You THINK it's cold in Florida? Come here to Western NY that we call The TUNDRA and see what cold is.
The State of NY should be PAYING US to live here!

I'm sure with you guy's liberal politicians there is an entitlement program or two.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

FL-Boss

I really don't know you guys stand cold like that.  Just to think you can't outside for days /weeks at a time...  unheard of.

WildSpur

It's not getting any better here in pa anytime soon.  We have a negative 12 coming up with snow accumulation too.

On a bright side the snow piles make great drink coolers when shoveling your driveway though.

Hopefully this will not mess up our wildlife since we had a fair mast crop at best.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Old Gobbler

Two January's ago it was freezing for about a month down here ( s fla ) -- cold cold cold , it put a hurting on the non native iguanas - I heard they were dropping out the trees , lol

In 1976 or 77 I remember it snowed in ft lauderdale Florida , it was 17 degrees out , I was walking to school and down it came -- real cold for us

But last march was the most whacked,  there was frost on the ground in March --out in the swamps in south florida - I remember  I had to go through two big puddles to get to my spot , I ended up taking walmart bags and putting them I between my socks and crocks- I busted down and picked up a pair lacrosse knee boots the next day

cold weather shut those gobblers right up last year
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

FL-Boss

For Sure.. last year was crazy here in Fla.  March was the coldest month last year.. it was weird..  I remember opening morning it was like 25... and continued to be cold for the next 3 weeks.  I didn't sweat much either on the afternoon hunts.. which is rare in Fla. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: FL-Boss on January 23, 2014, 12:43:33 PM
I have been living in North Fla for 40 years.  Been a while since I remember a January this cold. We have had freezing temps most nights this month.  Somedays the high hasn't made it to 50.   
I know you guys up north laugh at this.  But for Florida standards, it seems this has been a cold Jan.

My understanding is most of the mid west and NE has also been real cold...  a lot negative temps ?

Is it just me or has it been unusually cold so far this year?
It's not just you. We've set record lows here and it's been the most brutally cold winter in decades.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

paintbrush

31 below this morning at my place. That's with out wind chill. 2nd time we've been 30 below actual air temp this year. Lots of nights 20 below or better already. This coming Monday they say it's supose to get even colder here. It's been many years since we've had this cold of a winter up here.  I'm up in northern MN. The heat bill is going to be brutal!

beagler

It was -7 degrees on my way to work this morning and that's not the wind chill.
Never Misses