OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Will turkey hunting ever.......

Started by jakesdad, January 22, 2014, 08:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

become the mess deer hunting is today? My vote is doubtful for these reasons:

1)Hard to high fence turkeys
2)To hard to age on the hoof(or foot if you will).We all know real deer hunters only shoot aged mature deer.
3)Not as cool to ride around with your tailgate down with a gobbler in the back

Thoughts or opinions........

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

FL-Boss

Rokhal07

I hope not (and doubt it) or Ill be starting a forum called Old Rainbow Trout

redarrow

Quote from: Rokhal07 on January 22, 2014, 08:53:51 PM
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: I will change my handle to Redtrout.

Rokhal07

Quote from: redarrow on January 22, 2014, 09:04:05 PM
Quote from: Rokhal07 on January 22, 2014, 08:53:51 PM
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: I will change my handle to Redtrout.

We'll have a spot for you Redtrout!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Tail Feathers

Can I become Tailfin? :toothy9:

I hope not.  I see the number of turkey hunters staying steady or declining in the coming years.
More people and less hunters in the future is my prediction.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

paboxcall

Quote from: Tail Feathers on January 22, 2014, 09:27:10 PM
Can I become Tailfin? :toothy9:

I hope not.  I see the number of turkey hunters staying steady or declining in the coming years.
More people and less hunters in the future is my prediction.

I agree, less hunters going forward.

I call dibs on "PAspinnerbait."

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

stringtown

Quote from: Old Gobbler on January 22, 2014, 09:05:49 PM
Turkey hunting is essentially a difficult sport with a steep  learning curve ,  a few folks may get lucky from time to time ' but the clever guys are the ones who do most of the killing , most of the time - Lovett Williams liked to say , turkey hunters are a " cut above" the normal hunter

TV hunting shows have the potential of portraying the sport of turkey hunting as more easy than reality , and bringing more people into the sport- crowding and hunting pressure are going to have a negative affect of populations in the future - more people , less turkeys

I think you nailed it.  I am by no means a professional but it never fails.  Every season a couple of my buddies start calling me mid-season to come help them kill a bird(s).  They are the guys that enjoy it but don't share the same addiction.  They typically don't have much skill as a woodsman either. 

I also agree about the turkey shows or the lucky sob's that kill a bird on their first hunt.  Just fuels the fire and clogs up the woods w/ fools running around hammering on some box call at every gobbling jake. 

I understand we all start somewhere but I hope the fraternity of die hard turkey hunters always stays a little smaller than deer and duck. 

jblackburn

I hope not!  I think you are right, pretty sure to age a gobbler at 30 yards, unless it's a jake, which is as close to the "mess" deer hunting is because of trophy mentality.  I like how Col. Kelly says they used to call them young gobblers and no one thought any different.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

owlhoot

Sure hope not.

owltrout,  ah come on guys     ???

bigbird

Hope not but wouldn't be surprised. TV has a way ruining every other hunting sport, waterfowl hunting has been completely blown out here in indiana. I can't stomach any of the crap on TV no more!

hotrod3h

Quote from: jakesdad on January 22, 2014, 08:41:39 PM

3)Not as cool to ride around with your tailgate down with a gobbler in the back

Thoughts or opinions........

Who does this ? Mine rides in the backseat or sometimes I put him in passenger side of truck and buckle him in.

old3toe

I sure hope it doesnt get that bad!! However i think its very much heading that way!! Every year i talk to more and more people that only shoot mature gobblers. Atleast 3-4 years old. i talked to a guy this past spring on public ground. He asked if i had any luck? I said i killed a nice 2 year old a few days ago. He grinned real big and said cool that's prolly te same two year old i have to run off every time I'm hunting this spot!! I said you run him off?!! He said yes him and two of his buddies tear my spread up and knock over everything!! Said it ticks him off!! I asked why don't you ever shoot any of them? He said they're to young and he only shoots big ole mature birds.As in 11-12 Inch beards and no less than 1 1/4 spurs!!!ha ha i said well that's alright but i bet you don't kill very many birds do ya? Sure he said only the bigunns!! Hmmm well I'm not apologizing for shooting a two year old hard gobbling. bird with 1 1/8 inch spurs!
Ha ha he seemed pretty full of you know what. But i have heard this more and more. Also I've yet to see someone run off a group of three longbeards intentionally for messin up his decoys.ha ha

WildTigerTrout

I hope not. I hunt deer and turkeys and will take turkey hunting anyday over deer hunting. Read my signature line and it tells it like it is. Big bucks are killed every year by novice's who know nothing about the sport. It's pure luck. You don't kill a mature gobbler by luck especially if you hunt the old-fashioned way, without a blind or decoys.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!