turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Will turkey hunting ever.......

Started by jakesdad, January 22, 2014, 08:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnturkey

I hope not. but I don't think so. there several turkey hunters but very few legit hard core turkey hunters. its the same with deer but there are a whole lot more. t.v. shows don't do much for turkey hunting you cannot get the feel or the excitement like with deer. and they make it seem so easy set up a decoy over call and you'll kill a turkey. people get way more discouraged turkey hunting rather then deer hunting.

VA_Birdhunter

I hope and pray not!!!  As alot have said...being a "Turkey Hunter" takes true skill!  It doesn't happen over night and you really have to be dedicated!  I love to watch the quick decline of hunters I see out in town early in the AM after two weeks into the season.   We have to remember anyone can kill a turkey....but it takes a dedicated and skilled person to HUNT a turkey!   I have come along way myself with alot of help and trial and error...but I still have alot to learn and I'm looking forward to it!

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Deputy 14

Like everyone else has said it's not gonna happen unless all the idiots in the woods get a whole lot smarter, and God knows that's not gonna happen.

jakesdad

I do notice around here how people give up way early when they dont kill a bird.But I have noticed a trend among those kind;its never because of a lack of their "skill",its always the birds fault! Spring is too early,too late,they're henned up,or my personal favorite.....all the gobblers are call shy.

I belong to the Ray Eye school of thought on that one.Birds never become "call shy",only people shy.If they were actually call shy,they would die out in a hurry from a lack of reproduction because they'd always be running away from each other.

I think the number of hunters will stay steady or slightly decrease.Seems the number of beginners stays the same,its just different people.I believe there is a big turnover rate in the lower ranks every year because its not as easy as the "pros" make it look on the idiot box.

For those who only shoot "mature" gobblers,i'm glad you can see that 1/8" difference in spurs on a bird at 20-30 yds in the grass/leaves/crop stubble or whatever.Your eyes are a WHOLE lot better than mine.Thats ok,save all those 2 yr olds for me I aint proud!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

J Hook Max

Lord , I hope not. 90 % of turkey hunters are very likeable people. Deer hunters , well ........ !

guesswho

Some people will try to take it to the QDM (QTM)mentality.

A man that will tell you he only shoots three year old or older turkeys is either lying, clueless or both.  Probably both!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

lonnie sneed jr.

I don't think it will. (Not all) but most young people are to lazy to get out of bed at 3:30 or 4:00 to go turkey hunting. I think there will be less hunters in time to come. Myself I don't care how long the beard or spurs are on a gobbler. Any gobbler I call in and kill is a nice one to me. People should just hunt and enjoy what God sends there way, big or small, and if you have a child that likes to go hunting with you, YOU are blessed and lucky. I think kids going hunting is declining.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

jakesdad

"I think kids going hunting is declining."

Not at my house!!!! :z-guntootsmiley:Got one who started last year and another one who cant wait to go along. Hoping they become hopeless turkey addicts just like their dad!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

headbanger

Won't happen in my neck of the woods. We legally shoot what we want. Don't need no stinkin celebrity approval :toothy12:

wvcurlytop

I fear it's going to get as bad!  Everyone watches the hunting shows and they portray it as being so easy and next thing you know the woods are full of hunters and we're left with some educated birds to deal with.  I am all for promoting the sport and encouraging new hunters to take up the sport, but there is a right way and a wrong way. 

stinkpickle

I doubt it.  The ticks and skeeters will see to that.

Gooserbat

I don't think so, because when was the last time you saw a video where they talked about the weight or the spurs.  Naw, they just look at the beards throw it over their shoulder and walk out.  It's easy enough to kill a 2 year-old and to be honest they have really helped my self esteem a few times in the past.  To the general hunting public who buy into the video craze a gobbler is a gobbler and they have no idea what a limbhanger is. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

J Hook Max

It seems the easiest way to tell the old gobblers from the two year olds. They are the ones that snub their nose at your best calls.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: old3toe on January 22, 2014, 10:31:58 PM
I sure hope it doesnt get that bad!! However i think its very much heading that way!! Every year i talk to more and more people that only shoot mature gobblers. Atleast 3-4 years old. i talked to a guy this past spring on public ground. He asked if i had any luck? I said i killed a nice 2 year old a few days ago. He grinned real big and said cool that's prolly te same two year old i have to run off every time I'm hunting this spot!! I said you run him off?!! He said yes him and two of his buddies tear my spread up and knock over everything!! Said it ticks him off!! I asked why don't you ever shoot any of them? He said they're to young and he only shoots big ole mature birds.As in 11-12 Inch beards and no less than 1 1/4 spurs!!!ha ha i said well that's alright but i bet you don't kill very many birds do ya? Sure he said only the bigunns!! Hmmm well I'm not apologizing for shooting a two year old hard gobbling. bird with 1 1/8 inch spurs!
Ha ha he seemed pretty full of you know what. But i have heard this more and more. Also I've yet to see someone run off a group of three longbeards intentionally for messin up his decoys.ha ha
that really is sad..i am glad it isn't like that up here dealing with other hunters,not that i would care,i hunt and kill what makes me happy......i get a kick out of those guys...Like they're gods gift to hunting or something...H'n'B'