OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bedding a rifle

Started by Holston, January 21, 2014, 05:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holston

Have any of you guys here bedded any rifles?

I'm torn between doing it myself or sending it to a smith.

Just curious if any of you have any experience.

Gooserbat

Never done it but there are some in depth tutorials on 24hourcampfire.com
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

redarrow

I did my Savage 110 Old Model. Also pillar bedded it. Got everything I needed from Brownells.

stinkpickle

I was gonna suggest taking it to dinner and a movie first...   ;)

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

wisconsinteacher

I have bedded 3 rifles in the past year.  2 Rugers and 1 Savage.  The first Ruger went very well.  I bedded the pillars first then a day later, did the action.  The second Ruger, I tried to do it all in one shot.  I also did not have the Devcon mix loose enough.  It did not turn out the best.  I took it apart before it set which saved me.  I was able to clean it up and reset it before it hardened.  The good news, it went from a 1.75" rifle to a .75" rifle.  The Savage I did in one step and it went well.  The Ruger's front pillar is a pain.  The Savage went well.  The biggest thing is to prep, prep, prep.  Make sure you have q-tips to clean up along with Acetone to help.  Tape is your friend.  The last thing, make sure you have time.  You can not hurry.  If you plan on bedding a Savage, you can make your own pillars out of lamp rod for $2.  I use shoe wax as a release and clay to fill in the spots you don't want bedded.  The Rugers were fired before bedding and accuacy improved, the Savage was a new build so I don't know what it would do without bedding. 

I would say that a guy can do it after you study and plan.  If the smith is within the $100 range, it may be better for him to do it.