OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red Dot on Mossberg 835

Started by JellyHead Key, January 21, 2014, 02:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JellyHead Key

I'm wanting to get the Mossberg 835TK, with pistol grip. It doesn't come with a Red Dot on it but I'm wanting to know if you can install one on there? I'm leaning toward the TruGlo Gobble-Stopper Red Dot and was just wanting to make sure it would work before i purchased the two. In the picture on BassPro Shop i didn't see where i could mount it at on the 835. Any of you have this setup or know of anyone who does? Thanks fellas

jblackburn

Should be drilled/tapped for mounts, I think.  My 835 is, anyway.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

SCDieselDawg

Mossberg turkey guns come drilled and tapped for a scope base. You'll need to buy the appropriate base for your gun. Here's my 935 that I added a red dot to. 

JellyHead Key

Nice looking shotgun you have there!!

How hard is it to D/T yourself? Is it better to let a gunsmith do it?

SCDieselDawg

I would let a GS D/T unless you have machining experience and the proper tools/equipment. But I would bet  the gun you are getting is drilled and tapped from the factory.

Hoosier2

Unless you are good with machining and have all requires tools. I had my 835 d/t with a base for 40 bucks. Threw on a gobbler dot red dot I got on here a few weeks ago shot it and this thing is dead on after 7 rounds of 3.5". I love this combo. It's not fair to turkey's!!

beagler

My 835 is alittle older and is drilled/tapped. I have a picatinny base on mine with an Aimpoint 9000SC red dot scope on it.
Never Misses

Cajun1

All 835/935's are drilled and tapped already as far as I've seen.  I'm on my 5th 835 since 2002  (friends liked them so much, I sold to them and bought another.) and they've all been drilled and tapped when I got them.  Pick up a picatinny rail for it and it'll mount right up.

I'd be interestedt to see what you're results were with the Truglo.  I'm looking at getting one for mine.

hotrod3h

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on January 21, 2014, 02:49:48 PM
Mossberg turkey guns come drilled and tapped for a scope base. You'll need to buy the appropriate base for your gun. Here's my 935 that I added a red dot to. 

I own 2 of those Bushnell red dots. One on my main gun other on my back up gun. Just love it. With the recoil on shotgun especially if you shoot 3 1/2 don't buy a cheap red dot. My 2 cents worth.

steelheadr

My turkey guns are the 835 and 935.  Got red dots on both and wouldn't hunt without them. I thought about the pistol grip on my 835 but decided against it. Too much movement to get to safety on top of receiver with your thumb

WildSpur

You can get a weaver base for like $10 and mount it on top.  I had the same red dot.  It was ok.

If you can afford it the fast fire system with a 336 mount is sweet.  It sits low and is very solid.

I should of went this way originally but ended up buying twice.

Cluck more, yelp less

Skeeterbait

All 835's I have ever seen were drilled and tapped at the factory.  Mossberg and others make bases for them.  I recommend using a Picatinny base and not a Weaver.  The Picatinny is fully slotted on its full length unlike most Weaver bases.  This will give you the most adjustability forward and back.  If you use a sight that requires rings it will also give the most adjustability between the rings.  And unlike many Weaver bases, the slots in the Picatinny are deeper.  Some sights have crossbar depth requirements that won't fit into some Weaver slots.  In short, put a Picatinny on it to begin with and if you decide to try different sights, your base will always work and not have to be replaced.

Clean the threads of screws and holes with Windex and a Q-tip (not alcohol or acetone, it will take the camo off).  Allow to dry throughly.  Install the base and screws loosely and verify you have good threads.  Look inside the receiver and verify you have good deep thread ingagement but not sticking into the receiver and interfearing with the bolt.  Remove and then install the base with blue or purple locktite threadlocker (not red in case you ever want to sell the gun) and torque the screws to no more than 20 inch pounds.  Your receiver is aluminum and won't take more.  Tighten screws alternately working your way up to 20 inch pounds.  If you don't have a gunsmith torque driver then let a gunsmith install it.  Once it is installed leave it.  Don't assume you can install and remove it for different times of the year.  Since you are putting steel screws into aluminum threads it will eat out the aluminum threads after a while if removed often.  The thread locker will not only hold the screws but also help protect the threads.

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: Skeeterbait on January 22, 2014, 07:09:43 PM
All 835's I have ever seen were drilled and tapped at the factory.  Mossberg and others make bases for them.  I recommend using a Picatinny base and not a Weaver. The Picatinny is fully slotted on its full length unlike most Weaver bases.  This will give you the most adjustability forward and back.  If you use a sight that requires rings it will also give the most adjustability between the rings.  And unlike many Weaver bases, the slots in the Picatinny are deeper.  Some sights have crossbar depth requirements that won't fit into some Weaver slots.  In short, put a Picatinny on it to begin with and if you decide to try different sights, your base will always work and not have to be replaced.

Im glad you pointed that out! until now I never knew the difference between the two.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Skeeterbait on January 22, 2014, 07:09:43 PM
All 835's I have ever seen were drilled and tapped at the factory.  Mossberg and others make bases for them.  I recommend using a Picatinny base and not a Weaver.  The Picatinny is fully slotted on its full length unlike most Weaver bases.  This will give you the most adjustability forward and back.  If you use a sight that requires rings it will also give the most adjustability between the rings.  And unlike many Weaver bases, the slots in the Picatinny are deeper.  Some sights have crossbar depth requirements that won't fit into some Weaver slots.  In short, put a Picatinny on it to begin with and if you decide to try different sights, your base will always work and not have to be replaced.

Clean the threads of screws and holes with Windex and a Q-tip (not alcohol or acetone, it will take the camo off).  Allow to dry throughly.  Install the base and screws loosely and verify you have good threads.  Look inside the receiver and verify you have good deep thread ingagement but not sticking into the receiver and interfearing with the bolt.  Remove and then install the base with blue or purple locktite threadlocker (not red in case you ever want to sell the gun) and torque the screws to no more than 20 inch pounds.  Your receiver is aluminum and won't take more.  Tighten screws alternately working your way up to 20 inch pounds.  If you don't have a gunsmith torque driver then let a gunsmith install it.  Once it is installed leave it.  Don't assume you can install and remove it for different times of the year.  Since you are putting steel screws into aluminum threads it will eat out the aluminum threads after a while if removed often.  The thread locker will not only hold the screws but also help protect the threads.

He's correct. 

That's deadnut on the money.  The earlier first model 1987 to maybe I'm guessing 1990 didn't have ports either. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's also right on the torque info as well.  That's what I have mine torqued to on my Wiha torqe driver. 

I used nail polish on mine though.  Same principle, but probably not quite as good.