OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Barbour County, Alabama

Started by Dray223, January 21, 2014, 07:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray223

Headed down there for the Alabama opener. Got permission to hunt 2600 acres of private ground. Just wondering if any of you guys hunt that county, how the population is. Thanks

Old Gobbler

It's nice country ,very nice people  I used to hunt it decades ago - the private land around the wma holds some birds from what I hear

Sections of it can be up and down ridges heavily wooded with , with creek bottoms - the turkeys seem to like the clearings towards the mid to late morning - you can be in a area that has little or plenty turkeys there is just about no way to tell until they'd start gobbling
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

CASH

THERE ARE NO TURKEYS IN ALABAMA
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

J Hook Max

I have hunted this area before , but it was several years ago. It has traditionally been a very good area.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Dray223 on January 21, 2014, 07:57:58 AM
Headed down there for the Alabama opener. Got permission to hunt 2600 acres of private ground. Just wondering if any of you guys hunt that county, how the population is. Thanks

That is an awesome opportunity!  Would love to find some private land to hunt down there.  Thought I had a spot locked down about two yrs ago....around 600 acres but it feel through.  I always on the look though...Lord willing it will come together in do time.   Wish u the best on ur hunt this spring!

God Bless

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

R AJ

The main thing is going to be the disposition of the birds at that opening and weather conditions. There is some really good hunting in that area. If you use Google earth you can be scouting the terrain and openings now.

Temps have ranged from shirt sleeve to winter coats in mid March, with GIANT blood sucking skeeters to boot.
Hope you enjoy your trip.

guesswho

I own a couple hundred acres in Barbour County.  Ain't heard or seen a bird in over ten years.  beautiful place though.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TRKYHTR

Quote from: guesswho on January 21, 2014, 01:43:31 PM
I own a couple hundred acres in Barbour County.  Ain't heard or seen a bird in over ten years.  beautiful place though.

Cause you killed a bucket full of them. A big bucket of spurs to be exact. LOL
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Dray223

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on January 21, 2014, 12:37:29 PM
Quote from: Dray223 on January 21, 2014, 07:57:58 AM

That is an awesome opportunity!  Would love to find some private land to hunt down there.  Thought I had a spot locked down about two yrs ago....around 600 acres but it feel through.  I always on the look though...Lord willing it will come together in do time.   Wish u the best on ur hunt this spring!

God Bless

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
If we go again next season, I will get in contact with you. Maybe we can arrange for you to come join us. we are hoping to make this a yearly trip

T-town

Hunted there back in the '80s. Eat up with turkey's back in the day.

allchokedup

I went there about 20 years ago during archery season. I saw more rattlesnakes than pine trees!
I came from S. Florida where there was lots of them slithering, sneaky sap suckers...but I ain't never seen that many rattlers in one place. I think...everyone in the campground killed one. Never went back.
Have fun!

vaturkey

Got a bud that's in a lease in Barbour County. I go down & turkey hunt for a week & he & his son come up & Smallmouth fish for a week. That place is run over with gobblers. Wished I lived closer cause I would be a member of that lease. I'm pretty sure that I have killed some of the gobblers that Guesswho has fooled with cause alot of them were walking backwards so they wouldn't step on their beards & the spurs were well over an inch !

vaturkey   :newmascot:

Vaturkey

guesswho

Quote from: vaturkey on January 23, 2014, 07:35:40 PM

Got a bud that's in a lease in Barbour County. I go down & turkey hunt for a week & he & his son come up & Smallmouth fish for a week. That place is run over with gobblers. Wished I lived closer cause I would be a member of that lease. I'm pretty sure that I have killed some of the gobblers that Guesswho has fooled with cause alot of them were walking backwards so they wouldn't step on their beards & the spurs were well over an inch !

vaturkey   :newmascot:
:)
I thought I heard you shoot last year.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

AUDoubleBeard

When I still lived in Alabama we had a lease on the Barbour / Henry county line and held plenty of turkey's.  Last time I was there was about 6 years ago so who knows what has changed!