Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

????Longbeards and #4???? Just a thought???

Started by Gooserbat, January 20, 2014, 05:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

So I had this idea, if the patterns are as good as they seem to be why not shoot #4.  I mean what if you could get 100, 120, or even 140+ #4 lead in 10" @ 40.  I must check this out. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Deputy 14

I'm buying a bunch of 4s for predator hunting. May not use for turkeys but I'm sure they'll be heck on bobcats and coyotes at 35 and in.

Eric Gregg

#4's would pack a mean punch in Hevi-Shot. I thought about getting some for thick stuff.

catdaddy

savduck

Used to be my load of choice back in the all lead days. Killed a bunch of them with 4s.
Georgia Boy

hotrod3h

Just my personal opinion but I've always shot #4's. Easier to find as well seems there always out of 5's & 6's.

Rokhal07

budtripp

I've never had a gun that would pattern 4's worth a darn but you may be onto something witb the longbeards. I may be tempted to try some

jblackburn

If it not over choked, should be fine.  I've never been able to get my 835 to pattern them well, even with more open chokes.  These Longbeard loads are interesting, but I've not seen them up here in the NW yet.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

renegade19

Quote from: catdaddy on January 20, 2014, 06:29:54 PM
I've killed a bunch of turkeys with 4's.
Me too.  I shoot  Hevi 7's now though.

surehuntsalot

my 835 with the factory full choke loves #4's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Eric Gregg

I found a box of Hevi-Shot straight #4's in a store the other day. I wish I would have picked them up..

bigbird

If you got that many pellets at 40 yds with #4's you've got the perfect choke! Since there are only 135 pellets per oz.  if I had half of your numbers @ 40 yds I'd be all over 4's, they hit so much harder than 5's or 6's do down range you don't need over a 100 to get the job done!

ol bob

I shoot a 835 with a pure gold choke it will put more shot in 10 inches with #4 than 5 or 6.