OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Iowa Non-Res Fees...?

Started by Full_Fan, January 20, 2014, 01:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full_Fan

So if I understand this correctly for a non-resident wanting to turkey hunt in Iowa:

$102 non-res turkey permit
$13.00 habitat stamp
$112.00 non-res general small game hunting license
plus any applications fees, online fees, etc.

So to hunt 1 turkey in Iowa is going to run around $230 for just the tag... am I correct on this?  I sure hope not.

danny

Yes you are.  I live 8 miles from the iowa border and they think their turkeys are made of GOLD....Danny

Full_Fan

All I can say is WOW!  They better be made of gold!  And I thought MO was high.  It's hard to imagine IA selling a bunch of tags to non-res at these prices.

stinkpickle

That's correct.  They're not necessarily cheap for us residents, either.  In fact, on a per turkey basis, it is cheaper for me to hunt in Texas as a non-resident than hunt in Iowa as a resident.

stringtown

Is there a draw in Iowa for turkey tags for NR's? I got an email recently about buying a preference point for Iowa I though for turkey. Considering a combo hunt next yr w Iowa and surrounding state or 2.

fallhnt

I don't think you need points for turkey but you can't hunt second season as a NR. You will be able to hunt all day.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

2eagles

Seems all 4 Spring seasons are open to non-res hunters
from IA DNR web page

Season 1 262 (155) 55 (27) 165 (70) 35 (11) 20 (8 )
Season 2 262 (261) 55 (44) 165 (77) 35 (10) 20 (14)
Season 3 262 (244) 55 (45) 165 (69) 35 (5) 20 (13)
Season 4 262 (224) 55 (38) 165 (93) 35 (14) 20 (19)
Muzzleloading Shotgun-only licenses: 150 statewide (31)
SEASON DATES
Season 1 April 14 - 17
Season 2 April 18 - 22
Season 3 April 23 - 29
Season 4 April 30 - May 18

stringtown

Yeah I just saw the same thing and only one was close in regards to draw. I went ahead and got a preference point though to ensure I get drawn next spring.

vaturkey

Tennessee Non Resident =  251.00 
Vaturkey

fallhnt

They must of changed it so NR can hunt 2nd. For years a NR couldn't.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

stringtown

Feel your pain VAturkey. I'm in TN for one yr and hunting here and KY. This TN license going to hurt my feelings.

MDbowman

Quote from: stringtown on January 22, 2014, 09:28:29 AM
Feel your pain VAturkey. I'm in TN for one yr and hunting here and KY. This TN license going to hurt my feelings.

But at least you can kill 4 turkeys and aren't your tags good for the whole season?

stringtown

You are correct about both but the season isn't as long as I'd like. Also, still searching for spots to hunt. Got a couple places that might work out.

stinkpickle

Quote from: fallhnt on January 22, 2014, 09:17:31 AM
They must of changed it so NR can hunt 2nd. For years a NR couldn't.

Yeah, I think they changed that either last year or the year before.

Full_Fan

Any State that charges a non-resident over $200 to shoot a turkey is ridiculous IMO.  I'll be concentrating my hunting in States that don't gouge non-residents.  Heck, I can buy non-res deer tags for less than $200 in a lot of States.