Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Danner Jackall or Pronghorn snake boots?

Started by Candyman, January 19, 2014, 08:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candyman

Which would you recommend considering the following:

I hunt in Central Mississippi, season gets hot towards the end.
Hunt in wet areas with sloughs, creeks.....
Hunt in hilly areas with ridges and hollows.

uarobert

No experience with the jackals, but I love my pronghorns. I hunt AL and South GA, so I get plenty of heat, mud and water.

mmclain

I love my pronghorn classics....I have almost completely wore them out......took about 8 years..and wore the lugs almost all the way off.....and many rick of firewood cut and split in them.....I bought a new set of pronghorn gtx....I like them but I prefer the classics.....I think cabelas still carries the classics......

agturkey

I have a new pair not open for sale.  Pronghorn all the way jackals leak and no arch!

turkeykiller22

I haven't put on either boot. I held them both one day not too long ago in a store and I found that I liked the Jackal better. The sole was smaller which to me means one thing. Less area on the ground = less amount of noise. The jackal also seemed to be lighter which is a BIGY for me! Just my two cents worth. Good Luck this spring!
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

mountman62

bought a pair of the pronghorns in Jan 2011, they didn't make the season, sent them back, got another pair for 2012, the didn't make 5 hunts before leaking, not sure if anyone makes a good pair of gore tex snake boots, i have been sadly disappointed with them
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

Shellwaster

I've got a pair of pronghorns that I got sometime in early 2010. I not only wear them all turkey season but also when scouting in August and September as well as hanging deer stands. I'll also deer hunt in them until early November. Needless to say they have quite a few miles on them. Knock on wood I've never been bitten by a snake, or at least attempted to be bitten, nor have they leaked. I have made it a habit to clean them and put a fresh coat of waterproofing wax each year around January. I have also done this during the season if they have gotten saturated for long periods of time.
The one negative is they get hot, especially in 98 degree Georgia heat with 90% humidity. When they get hot and my legs and feet sweat they can be difficult to get off without getting a cramp in my calf. I have found that if I wear diabetic socks that go over my calf the boots fit better and are easier to take off.

Rokhal07

I like my danner pronghorns fine, but I love my danner sharptails. They are the best uninsulated boots ive ever owned. Not one of the choices you listed but just thought id list them also

Swamp Hunter

Prior to 2013 spring turkey I bought the Jackells. I hunted through the spring with them but they hurt my ankles and never seemed to break in. In addition, late in the season I waded through water that was about half way up the boot and my feet stayed dry. The next morning though the inside of both boots was wet.  I contacted Danner and they agreed to replace the boots with Pronghorn snake boots and I could not be happier with the Pronghorns. They were easy to break in and pretty easy to get on and off. I hunt in north Florida and do not find them to be too hot. Get the Pronghorns.

BigMick

I've had the pronghorns for about 3 years with no issues.  Have worn them on EVERY turkey hunt since purchasing them and also deer hunt in them until the weather gets too cold.  I love mine!!

Skeeterbait

Just personal preference but I wouldn't have the Pronghorns or any lug sole boot if you hunt areas with sticky clay soils.  They load up and won't shed the red clay we have here and it makes them heavy to walk in.  I have the Jackals II's and had the original Jackals and prefer the smooth sole.  It did take a while for the ankle area to break it.  One thing that helps is don't lace them too tight and buy a size larger than your everyday shoes.  This is true of any boots.

Longspur321

Man I gotta say that I love my Pronghorns. This will be my 3rd year with them. Very comfortable boots. I'll unlace and clean them thoroughly after the last gobbler falls, and rub them down real good with the Danner boot dressing, then waterproof them with a thick coat of Obenauf's. No leaks yet!
"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."--John Wayne

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."--Steve McQueen

Jet

Bought a pair of jackalls before last season, also used them during bow season and through the start of rifle season for deer, very comfortable and dry.  I had a pair of rockys before and my feet stayed wet just from the am dew. I can walk through creeks that come right up to the top of jackalls, and they don't leak, love mine.

Turkey Trot

All Goretex boots are a gamble when water is added, and about all of them will eventually get your feet wet either by leaking or over saturation.

It looks to me that the only way to guarantee keeping your feet dry is rubber boots.

Perhaps a combination of a pac boot with real soles and a pair of snake gaiters is about the best insurance for dry feet with some snake protection.  Gaiters have their limits and I don't know which are best.  There is a number of eastern diamondbacks that can/will hit above the top of a snake boot due to their size.

http://www.schnees.com/product/SCHNEES-Hunter-II-pac-boots/schnees-insulated-pac-boots

http://www.rei.com/share/rei-blog/2012/09/rattlesnakes-gaiters.html
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter