Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommend me 3 different chokes for the 835.

Started by Xcal1ber, January 19, 2014, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeterbait

I am shooting Win XRHD #6 3.5" (at least till they run out) in a 24" 835.

Of the chokes I have tried, my results were:

Kicks .690 very open pattern but even distribution
Kicks .680 somewhat tighter
Kicks .670 decent hunting pattern, good for 30 yards and under
Pure Gold .670 good hunting pattern to 40 yards
Jelly Head .690 about like the Kicks .680
Indian Creek .675 scary tight pattern.  Will reach on out there but under 20 yards no room for error.

I am using the Indian Creek with a open red dot sight.

Xcal1ber

Quote from: gophert on January 20, 2014, 08:18:31 AM
Check out these threads:

Jelly Head: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,18597.0.html

Hevi Shot Choke:  http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,20209.0.html

Pure Gold: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,18310.0.html

StartDot, Jellyhead, SSX:  http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,17840.0.html

Thank you sir for taking the time to look that up for me. There is a few chokes that's just a touch more popular than the rest (SSX, Indian Creek, Jelly Head, and Pure Gold) but other than that it seems like there is a whole lot of chokes that does good in the 835.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

TrackeySauresRex

I can't give you 3, But.....These are the 2 that have worked well for me.
J.H 690
Kicks 680
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

chatterbox

My vote goes to the SSX. Out of all the chokes listed, that one produced the most even and consistent patterns I have ever shot. I haven't tried a Stardot or Indian Creek, but I have found what works best for me.
One other thing. Clean the heck outta that choke, and run some low brass loads through it. Most chokes like to be broken in, and shoot much better the more they are shot. Best of luck! I think you will like that SSX. :icon_thumright:

TrackeySauresRex

^ I'm gonna try that ssx as well. Bin readin good stuff about it here.  ;D

surehuntsalot

original .676 stardot
           .679 Tru-glo GS
original .710 factory full (silver)came with the older 835's,this one that I have will shoot just about anything you put through it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ILIKEHEVI-13

If I were looking for one of the best Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #6 load choke, I would have to strongly recommend this one from my findings.  I put 245 shot inside a 10" at a taped 40yds with the very first shot from this same load.  But the next shot wasn't as good around 180.  So with continued shooting I would bet over 200 could easily be obtainable with this choke and a good lot # from this load. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mad-MD-1007-Turkey-Choke-for-12ga-Mossberg-835-Ulti-Mag-/111258483232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e785ba20#ht_845wt_789

That choke was made by Indian Creek to the best of my knowledge.

The Indian Creek BDS .675 probably in my guess would also be another good candidate to shoot the Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #6 with for great patterns.  I don't believe I ever ran any of them in my Indian Creek I used to have.  But I may have. 

The Star Dot I have will do around 180 with this load mentioned above.  It never has put close to 240 something in a 10" with that load at a taped 40yds. 

The Star Dot choke I have shines above all others when shooting this exact same load mentioned but with #7's.  No other choke I have shot will beat it for numbers with the 3.5" #7's in normal 60-70 degree turkey hunting weather here in MO.  Now that's on my Moss 835 28" polished barrel I have.  That's including Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Jelly Head, and TruGlo SSX.  But I will say the SSX has been the next best shooting choke with this load.  But in colder weather like in the 40's, the SSX has whipped the Star Dot with the 3.5" 7's.  But I have to go off of what normal Spring temps are here in MO and what shoots the best patterns.

Lot 300325 has been the best shooting lot I have seen so far from the Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7 loads. 

Here's what my Star Dot and gun can do with that load at a taped measured 40yds.  I have a TruGlo open dot sight on this gun.  I shot this one a few years ago with my buddy Mark and his son.  I shot only 1 shell to make sure I was on.  I told them both your looking at over 300 shot easily with this load.  Temp was 75 degrees. 

I also have done 360 in a 10" with this exact same lot # load. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I wanted to add another thought about that pattern I posted above.  A guy on another turkey hunting forum wanted to know what's the most shot a person with a good shooting turkey load, choke and gun could obtain inside a 8" piece of duct tape at a taped 40yds.  So I traced what would be the outline of a 8" strip over the densest part of that pattern above.  I got a whopping 98 shot inside of what would be that 8" strip of tape.  Here's a photo.  That will show you exactly how dense that pattern is above.  That's why I say if you own a Star Dot choke to shoot Hevi-13 3.5" 7's for densest patterns.  The total number of hits alone would destroy what 6's will do from that exact same load.  Now I'm just throwing that statement out there as the truth.  That's not ripping Hevi-13 6 loads for I have a bunch of them, too.  But that's for the guys that don't think you can kill a turkey cleanly at 40yds with Hevi-13 7's.  I'm here to tell you they are simply wrong.

Xcal1ber

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 21, 2014, 04:51:49 AM
I wanted to add another thought about that pattern I posted above.  A guy on another turkey hunting forum wanted to know what's the most shot a person with a good shooting turkey load, choke and gun could obtain inside a 8" piece of duct tape at a taped 40yds.  So I traced what would be the outline of a 8" strip over the densest part of that pattern above.  I got a whopping 98 shot inside of what would be that 8" strip of tape.  Here's a photo.  That will show you exactly how dense that pattern is above.  That's why I say if you own a Star Dot choke to shoot Hevi-13 3.5" 7's for densest patterns.  The total number of hits alone would destroy what 6's will do from that exact same load.  Now I'm just throwing that statement out there as the truth.  That's not ripping Hevi-13 6 loads for I have a bunch of them, too.  But that's for the guys that don't think you can kill a turkey cleanly at 40yds with Hevi-13 7's.  I'm here to tell you they are simply wrong.

Thank you for taking the time to give me some suggestions. I agree that Hevi 7's are devastating and they are all I have used for the past year. I just happened to run in to an incredible deal on the 6's that I couldn't pass up. I will look into the Mad max choke for sure.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

gophert

ILIKEHEVI-13 is the only crazy nut to shoot that shoulder rattling, face slapping, gun with lots of different chokes.  I would buy whatever he said to buy and be done with it.  It will cut down on a bruised face. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: gophert on January 21, 2014, 10:37:59 AM
ILIKEHEVI-13 is the only crazy nut to shoot that shoulder rattling, face slapping, gun with lots of different chokes.  I would buy whatever he said to buy and be done with it.  It will cut down on a bruised face.

LOL! 

I'll take that as a compliment.

But I will also add all 3.5" 2.25oz turkey loads are going to kick.  The key is getting a nice softer recoil pad like the SIMS to reduce the felt recoil some.  But I will agree the foream tighness is much better on the 870's.  No doubt about it. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Thank you for taking the time to give me some suggestions. I agree that Hevi 7's are devastating and they are all I have used for the past year. I just happened to run in to an incredible deal on the 6's that I couldn't pass up. I will look into the Mad max choke for sure.

Your welcome.  There is nothing wrong with buying a great deal.  I don't blame you one bit.  6's will work just like the 7's will and penetrate deeper but will have less hits.  So it's a give and take.  Both will do the job super well at 40yds. 

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 21, 2014, 10:46:50 AM
Quote from: gophert on January 21, 2014, 10:37:59 AM

LOL! 

I'll take that as a compliment.

But I will also add all 3.5" 2.25oz turkey loads are going to kick.  The key is getting a nice softer recoil pad like the SIMS to reduce the felt recoil some.  But I will agree the foream tighness is much better on the 870's.  No doubt about it.

Sory for the thread hyjack this was just an idea of mine. I'm sure I didn't invent it. Pipe insulation matching camo tape and a little velcro and of course the simms. This tamed mine down a lot.. with no slap in the mush..   ;D

reflexl

Original .676 Stardot. W-W 3.5" #5. Bird killingest machine I have ever seen. reflexl